Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda EU7000 fuel injected

Honda EU7000 fuel injected

PART I

I broke down and bought a Honda 7000EU. I was drooling over the fuel injected model and I pulled the trigger. She was sweet and sexy for 140 hours and then ? blip--takes a poop. A BIG POOP. NO start, cranks but no start. Hmm. I pull the spark plug, sopped in gas. I knew it wasn't bad gas because I'm running other stuff off the same gas jug (my chainsaw and another Honda EU2200)

So -I grabs me a new plug, pop it on the plug boot, ground it and crank the engine. Nice blue spark. Whew. Next.

I hand-pull the engine over a couple-few times to clear out the cylinder of any leftover gas. I screw in the new plug and hit the start button. Crankity-crank- crank. She usually fires right up - but nope, nothing. Not even a fart. I pull the plug and once again it's sopped in gas. Only after one crank of about 5 seconds !

Welp, seeing it has ONLY 140 hours on it and she's 2 months old I stop there. Warranty time right? Yup. I'm a little pissed but WTH I'll haul it down to a Honda service shop. I was little disappointed but not to riled up as I have 2 other RELIABLE (and OLD) Honda generators. (ONES WITH CARBS and NO FRIGGIN ELECTRONIC GIZMOS !)

K, so I have a couple beers, talk it over with the dog, settle down and load it in the truck. ALL 280 FREAKING POUNDS OF IT !!!

PART II

After sitting in the Honda shop since last Wednesday, the service gal calls me on the phone and says it's all set and ready for pick up.

I asked her what was wrong with it. She said the mechanic said the O2 sensor was dirty which caused the spark plug to gas foul. She said he cleaned the O2 sensor, installed a new spark plug and it runs fine. My eyebrows dropped and couldn't help but squint my eyes.

OK, ready ? she goes on to say that it's not covered under warranty.

HUH? 2 months old and 120 hours on it? Not covered, WHY?

She said that because I must have been running it on eco-mode the generator wasn't reaching full RPM's which caused the O2 sensor to carbon up thus fouling the plug. HUH? This is MY fault? I told her nowhere in the owner's manual does it state that you shouldn't run it in eco-mode for extended hours. And I've run my other older Honda generators in eco-mode with never a problem. She said sorry that's what the tech said. I'm on the phone with her, mind ya, and the veins in my head are starting to throb.

So I owe parts and labor and none of it is covered under warranty....so she says.

Being off grid with solar power I run this genny mostly as a back-up to refresh my batteries in winter(maybe 2-3 hours every other night or so). I keep it in eco-mode unless I'm running big stuff continuously (which is rare) And I don't really pay attention to the rpm's or whether it's kicking up or down. And I use that eco-mode as it was intended to be used.

I'll be going down to chat with the mechanic. What a bunch of crap ! Unless I'm missing something...then I'll eat Crow.

That's crazy.
    Generators have O2 sensors now?
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

It's the fuel injected model, so yes it has a O2 sensor and other electronic gizmos and --- of course a motherboard. $$$$$

I'm second guessing myself now, might just throw it up for sale and go with a new one with a carb, like the 6500EU.The re-jet for 9000 feet up is easy.

I'll wait and see.

LHBA Member
    That is frustrating! Except the beer and the dog part....that sounded good.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

Not cool Honda. NOT COOL!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

At least you know what it is now, and how to solve it. First, if it's a generic O2 sensor, I'd replace it. And then I'd keep a spare on hand.

My 3000is started running rough after a couple thousand hours. I was going to take it in, but decided to go over it myself. Just a loaded up spark arrestor. I was going to remove it altogether, but then figured everything caught up in it, would be getting ejected. I cleaned it and put it back in, and I'll worry about it in another couple thousand hours.

(BTW, almost ALWAYS run in eco mode, unless I'm running the compressor or welder)

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Yeah, always been a HUGE Honda fan -- so this is a let-down.

I won't be able to get down there to pick it up til' middle of the week. I'll have a nice chat with the service people. Lately, I've been playing the "Columbo" role. ( errr' for you youngin's - it's an old 70's investigator TV series) Anyway Columbo plays a Police Lt. and he acts like he's a bumbling idiot but he asks just the right questions in just the right way. He appears harmless, lost and absent minded but on the inside he's sharp as a tack. And he always outwits and solves the crime.

Anyways, I'll try playing the sneaky-calm Columbo role as I'm getting to old to be yelling and screaming and going off like Frank Costanza (Seinfeld)

At this point I can't blame "Honda"...yet. I just think this service shop is trying to avoid doing warranty work (possibly they get paid less and have to bill Honda) and they'd would rather get paid in cash.

And yeah I'm gonna order a service manual asap. My bet is that it spit out a simple trouble code for the O2 when PC tested. (btw I did pull out and look at the spark arrestor screen, it had just a trace of black soot, nothing serious at all but I did clean it)

I'm still not buying the lame excuse " because you ran it on eco-mode it fouled the sensor." Capital b capital s ! (catch that?)

If I get nowhere with the service place, I'll then go straight to Honda Corp.
    Last edited by Kola; 12-28-2019 at 02:03 PM.

LHBA Member
    On the one hand, it's disappointing that proper use (yours) led to a failure, and I'm not a fan of too many high-tech things where reliability is concerned.
    On the other hand, fuel injection eliminates other problems associated with carbs. For a genny, though, my preference is still low tech.

Still, the tech just cleaned the sensor, so there should be zero parts cost. And he probably knew (or used a trouble code to learn) the cause. So labor ought to be low. How bad was that damage?

They want 75 Georgies.