Thread: Greetings from Kola

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings from Kola

Greeting my old LHBA friends, enemies and others.

It's that time of the year - again to check in and to...umm..behave.

Life is good here in the High Country of Colorado at 9000 feet up. For those of you who don't know me I took the class way back in 2006- a class that changed my life. I live happily alone (except for my GSD and farm animals which are family to me) I like the peace and quiet and solitude here. There's no turning back.

I am now 61 years old and slowing down. For those of you who don't know me I was a truck and diesel mechanic, a chiropractor, home remodeler and now I'm a vocational teacher in a CO State Prison teaching Carpentry/Building Trades and I love it. It could definitely be a TV reality show as every day is a new adventure. I have 15 guys or students (and no I don't call them inmates or offenders) I treat them like human beings. I give them RESPECT and that goes a long way in a prison, trust me on that. Anyway, I could write a book on what goes on inside the joint...and maybe I will - right after I write a book on my adventures of living in a tipi.

Anyway,I need some help with my solar set-up as for years I have been getting by on a bare bones setup. Here's what I bought:

One brand new Honda EU7000 generator (fuel injected and remote start kit) (to run power tools and my log splitter)
    A little old Honda EU1000 genny which I use to charge my two L-16 Trojans on super cold times.
    Outback Flexmax 80 (same one for 15 years, a great investment - thanks to Rod's recommendation)
    Outback inverter (24V FXR2000) just bought it
    Outback Hub/mate (just bought)
    4 Panasonic 335w solar panels (I may get 2 more) (just bought)

So here's my problem.

I'd like to get two or four 12v batteries and wire them for 24v but I'm unsure what would be best.I'm also looking at these batteries as they sound great but I'm not sure about them at 900 bucks a piece. I've run Trojans over the years will fairly good results. I am very frugal on electricity usage, Enviro Mini upgraded pellet stove (250-300 watts max), laptop PC (30w), and LED lighting. My stove is all propane as is my Dometic fridge/freezer. I also have a trusty older woodstove and a Natures Head compost toilet (which I don't like). No TV, I hate those things.

My concern are these batteries. Are they the cats ass? Are there better ones? The big plus seems to be how quick they charge and how far you can discharge them without shortening their lifespan. And I love the fact I could mount my entire solar setup INSIDE the cabin as they don't emit any vapors. That's a HUGE-azz plus IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Volt-...3261773&sr=8-1

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated (on the wiring configuration and batteries)

BTW, Rod, I still have the Gransfor axe you sent me. It has been a workhorse for over 10 years without problem. Gracias !
    Last edited by Kola; 11-09-2019 at 08:52 AM.