Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Kola

Greetings from Kola

Greeting my old LHBA friends, enemies and others.

It's that time of the year - again to check in and to...umm..behave.

Life is good here in the High Country of Colorado at 9000 feet up. For those of you who don't know me I took the class way back in 2006- a class that changed my life. I live happily alone (except for my GSD and farm animals which are family to me) I like the peace and quiet and solitude here. There's no turning back.

I am now 61 years old and slowing down. For those of you who don't know me I was a truck and diesel mechanic, a chiropractor, home remodeler and now I'm a vocational teacher in a CO State Prison teaching Carpentry/Building Trades and I love it. It could definitely be a TV reality show as every day is a new adventure. I have 15 guys or students (and no I don't call them inmates or offenders) I treat them like human beings. I give them RESPECT and that goes a long way in a prison, trust me on that. Anyway, I could write a book on what goes on inside the joint...and maybe I will - right after I write a book on my adventures of living in a tipi.

Anyway,I need some help with my solar set-up as for years I have been getting by on a bare bones setup. Here's what I bought:

One brand new Honda EU7000 generator (fuel injected and remote start kit) (to run power tools and my log splitter)
    A little old Honda EU1000 genny which I use to charge my two L-16 Trojans on super cold times.
    Outback Flexmax 80 (same one for 15 years, a great investment - thanks to Rod's recommendation)
    Outback inverter (24V FXR2000) just bought it
    Outback Hub/mate (just bought)
    4 Panasonic 335w solar panels (I may get 2 more) (just bought)

So here's my problem.

I'd like to get two or four 12v batteries and wire them for 24v but I'm unsure what would be best.I'm also looking at these batteries as they sound great but I'm not sure about them at 900 bucks a piece. I've run Trojans over the years will fairly good results. I am very frugal on electricity usage, Enviro Mini upgraded pellet stove (250-300 watts max), laptop PC (30w), and LED lighting. My stove is all propane as is my Dometic fridge/freezer. I also have a trusty older woodstove and a Natures Head compost toilet (which I don't like). No TV, I hate those things.

My concern are these batteries. Are they the cats ass? Are there better ones? The big plus seems to be how quick they charge and how far you can discharge them without shortening their lifespan. And I love the fact I could mount my entire solar setup INSIDE the cabin as they don't emit any vapors. That's a HUGE-azz plus IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Volt-...3261773&sr=8-1

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated (on the wiring configuration and batteries)

BTW, Rod, I still have the Gransfor axe you sent me. It has been a workhorse for over 10 years without problem. Gracias !
    Last edited by Kola; 11-09-2019 at 08:52 AM.

For those who don't know me, here's a short update thread:

http://community.loghomebuilders.org...changed-things

Blog Entries
    Glad to see you are still eating, drinking, and breathing, Kola. Kinda like an old girlfriend, you seem to just show up and then, just when it looks like it'll get interesting, you disappear again.

I lived with Trojan T-105's for a bunch of years back when they were the knifes edge of technology. Even had them in the bus I lived in for 10 years or so til our Son was born.

That Son, Jake, is now 28 and succeeding at everything in life, and is in the middle of his own bus build. He is a techy whizzeroonie and has worried about batteries for months now and seems to think that those lithium iron batteries are the only way to go. The initial cost is not a problem for him but he says he would get them even if he had to sell plasma to do it. He is convinced that they will be the cheapest option by the time he has had them 6 years.

That is all I know about them. I have put up with his jabbering about them and all I can really remember is that he kept saying a bunch of numbers and I don't do numbers.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Thanks a bunch LH-Nut ! I too had the Trojan (non-condom) 105's then graduated to the L-16's but man those Lithium-ion gals sound sweet. My state job behind bars pays nice so I'm fixin' to spend some of my money - figured it was time I upgraded anyways.

Winter is hitting me here so I sometimes like to play a bit with this internet stuff and I'll try and catch up here on the forum. Then, like you said, I go back to my cave - much like Bin-laden and wild Bear.

I got some monster greenhouses built and I grow the greatest sweet potatoes, yams and taters. Cold summer nights force a guy to grow mostly root veggies - although I did pull off some killer-diller heirloom tomaters' that would knock your tastebuds off into heaven. Lots of fellar's are growing that marry-ju-wanna stuff everywhere up here but I prefer my German beer. In moderation of course.

Bear and mountain lion seem to be increasing around here, taking down goats, dogs, etc - so lock and load is essential. More people coming here too (Cali's and Texans), escaping the city and raising the value of homes and land. It's nuts. It's funny watching them drive in snow and ice. Bambi's, all of em'.

I still hike a lot, I call it extreme hiking cuz' I go where there's no paths and hit the treacherous stuff. Adrenaline rush keeps a man healthy. In moderation of course.

Prison is a interesting place. It's like going to a different planet and dealing with a different species of creatures. Seriously. That's all I will say.

The world as a whole ?....IMO it's a freakin' mess. It's worse than ever. I left it (along with the rat race) years ago because I didn't like it - but now it's 100x worse. That's just my opinion though. I had to create my own world even though a man can't fully escape it - he can make it better. What bugs me most is the ID chips, the tracking, camera's, facial recognition, scanning devices, GPS, Google Earth, mass shootings, child kidnappings, sex trafficking, child molesting clergymen, etc etc. Jesus H, George Orwell knew what was to come (and more!) There's no place to hide anymore. Freedom? Pfft, it's just an illusion. I'm also annoyed at the cellphone addiction crisis. I mean WTH have we become? Zombies. Yup goddam zombies. And how about the drivers on city and country roads? Holy effing Wow !!! Even some truckers are driving like major shit !

On a good note, it's a great time of year. I'll be packed up with elk and deer meat (including heart and liver). I no longer hunt as I don't like killing anymore. I'm lucky to have a few friends who share their meat with me. Winters are cold here but there's not much snow where I am plus it's always sunny as shit here (go solar!). I'm healthy with BP 115/75 and need no meds at all. I eat 80% organic and grow a lot on my own and eat wild game and fresh fish. The trout and salmon are spectacular here. I prefer my fish smoked. My pipe tobacco too.

OK, that's it, a little help on my solar issue would be appreciated while I'll be getting ready for Santa Claus. Last year Mrs Claus (first name Sarah, aka Sarah Claus) visited me. Let me tell you she is hot as hell ( a definite GILF !). I'll leave out chocolates and a g-string in hopes that she comes.

That's it, fer' now.
    Last edited by Kola; 11-09-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Battle Born are good batteries, but cost a lot. These are a whole lot cheaper, but you get to assemble them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PV5FCYX..._..AYDb5NH7NZZ . Here's a YouTube of how to assemble. https://youtu.be/wyP_dgWz8pY. It really depends on your comfort level with this kind of stuff. I tend to jump in with both feet. I have a 48v system with these cells.

Wow, thanks a bunch.Yeah I recently watched some young guy on Youtube talking about building your own...and at half the cost. What did you go with for BMS ? Mucho Gracias !
    Last edited by Kola; 11-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Wow, thanks a bunch.Yeah I recently watched some young guy on Youtube talking about building your own...and at half the cost. What did you go with for BMS ? Mucho Gracias !
    It's an un-named Chinese BMS. So far, it seems to be doing its job. It has a bluetooth and connects to my phone. You can set parameters for everything imaginable.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Lifep...-/192880341024
    One thing I am figuring out, these things tend to have undersized wiring. I needed a bms capable of 200 amps. I bought one for 400 amps. I can't imagine 400 amps running through the wires they used, so consider doubling the size if they offer it.

I'm too far behind the times on LiFepo batteries to offer any advice Kola. So far, my only experience with them is my single 12v battery with built in BMS on my stand-alone internet system, and the same deal for the motorcycle.

I have been looking at larger lithium packs for if I ever get the house built. I still like the idea of Edison batteries lasting forever, even if they aren't the most efficient option.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    I still like the idea of Edison batteries lasting forever, even if they aren't the most efficient option.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

I made some crude assumptions about energy capacity of those LiFePO4 cells. I came up with $500/KWH. I paid $375/KWH for NiFe, including shipping, because they'll last forever.

I also posted a question on Amazon, asking for KWH per cell or pack, but don't have any knowledgeable answers, yet.

Peter

LHBA Member
    Worth a look (Battle Born tear-down):

https://youtu.be/G5E30u-66VI

(disclaimer: his presentation style is "youthful", and you might think he's not well informed. But then he'll rattle off key technical info he knows off the top of his head, and it's clear he's done a lot of study and gotten his hands dirty.)
    Last edited by donjuedo; 11-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.