Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Log Species for Humid Central Georgia?

What about the ridgepole?

Interesting discussion on yellow pine. Leave it to me to arrive almost 3 years late to the party. We are going to be building very soon in northwest florida and I have access to very cheap slash and loblolly pine. While I am ok with this for the walls, what about for the rp, gspl, girder and rpsl?

Hey BMurphy, good question.

Hey BMurphy, good question. Go up and read AdamSC's post- has a lot of good info. Slash, loblolly, longleaf, shortleaf, and one other pine I can't recall off the top of my head are grouped into a class called southern yellow pine(SYP). This is because once cut, they are difficult to distinguish. The growth and strength characteristics are very similar for most of the species, so they have calculated the span tables based on the weaker species. Longleaf, however, is slightly stronger and is actually somewhat stronger than douglas fir. Don't quote me on it, but I seem to recall slash being second to longleaf, followed by loblolly.

Regardless of the individual strengths of the trees included in SYP, they are all excellent trees for structural use and would work well for columns and beams. Reference the span tables in the class materials.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the thoughts. Well, hmm..if I can't get a good couple of loads of cypress it might be pine. As a bit of a tangential sidebar, I actually helped my dad and uncle plant the pines about 28 years ago when I was 10. It would be kind of cool from that aspect, but I don't really look forward to messing with the sap :(

Thanks again!

Keith