Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caulking matches chinking best?

What caulking matches chinking best?

I feel like I'm gonna need a few pallets worth of caulking to seal up my cabin. What brand have you all found matches the mortar best? I used premixed bags for my chinking.

I know they sell a mortar caulk for cracks in brick mortar etc, but that doesn't have any sand or texture to it, which I think would be nice to have on the inside at least.

Also something that would stick to the wood well and be flexible I think is important no?

I have used a lot of log jammer, but I heard they have recently been bought out and quality has suffered. That statement also came from a company that had stopped carrying them so take it with a grain of salt. Perma-chink has good products too.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    "crack filler" For filling cracks in concrete. The kind I've used before (I believe it was this stuff or something equivalent, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-Cra...-Patch/3093937 ) has texture and is flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    I have used a lot of log jammer, but I heard they have recently been bought out and quality has suffered. That statement also came from a company that had stopped carrying them so take it with a grain of salt. Perma-chink has good products too.
    I have been using Permachink, inside and out, for all my sealing. It’s way better than caulking. Caulking dries out and shrinks, but the synthetic chinking stays pliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I put permachink in a couple of log buildings about 35 years ago, still doing fine. Pay attention to correct thickness. It wasn't cheap then.

Blog Entries
    I have a bottle of that crack sealer ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sakrete-Cra...-Patch/3093937 ) for cracks in the mortar chinking and I like it but I suspect you are asking about those 1" gaps around window and door bucks, etc.

I got sample cards from Weatherall, Sashco, and Permachink. Bought a case of Weatherall but it doesn't match the sample card. Tried the Sashco and I think it'll be a winner. I think what I have learned, at least for our place, is that if the caulk-gun goo is ever so slightly lighter than the chinking, it sticks out like a scab on an elbow. If it is slightly darker it looks normal. No, I don't know why. I suggest buying a tube or two and don't start on the window right over the bar between the kitchen and livingroom right by the main entry door. Practice in the 1/2 bath where your Wife (or fussy husband) will send you to fart.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

I originally used a Permachink that matched and then I switched to a contrasting color to go around all my windows and doors (dark brown vs light brown chinking). We think it looks better. I filled the cracks and then smeared a thin coat over the remaining chinking around the window.

I'll check out permachink and those their competition.

I'd also love to have this done instead https://youtu.be/WRskuIto5J4

Not that long ago there was a big push to have homes as airtight as possible. Then people started getting sick from stagnant air. Then the same brilliant code people said you had to put air exchangers in so that the air was getting switched out every couple of days. Though that's a pretty neat system
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

We had that done to our stick built home 15 yrs ago. Sold the place to build this one. No thanks this time around.