Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's it like when you finish building your log home, mortgage free?

LHBA Member
    I'm well on the way to mortgage free. I was nearly there but took a detour. I cannot wait for the day I can say I'm completely mortgage and debt free. Shouldn't be too far off.

The best feeling ever! Cash is king. Finished our place 5 years ago and put 6000 on a credit card that we paid off the following month interest free just because I couldn’t wait one more month��

LHBA Member
    Rocklock, you're house is gorgeous....

LHBA Member
    Camhart, don't think it will be a walk in the park. It takes A LOT of planning to make sure you know your capabilities and budget and timeframe if you don't want to get yourself stuck in a rut. It's not just a project, it's a lifestyle. You have to live like you want the house done debt free. No fancy vacations for a few years, or new cars, or steak dinners at the steak house twice a week. It takes true dedication to living frugal while you prepare to build and build. To be honest, it's not for everyone, so be prepared for the stress. It has been so stressful for me between working full time, going to school to get a masters degree, I was planning a wedding with my fiance, I am building the house, I tried to have a social life with friends... It was too much for me. I broke things off with my fiance because I couldn't handle the stress. I was depressed for a few months wondering if it was even worth finishing. This is after having almost $100k in the home.

I have since over the last few months realized all this (or more realized it). I put myself on a strict budgeting system where I only allow myself $60/week for personal needs (dinner with friends, online purchases, etc.). I have come to terms with this new lifestyle until the house is finished. I wanted this, I started it, I need to finish. I think sometimes "It would have been way easier if I just took out a mortgage and payed someone to build a stick house. I would be living in it already." Then I remember the freedom I will have when I am done. I can't wait!

This was not a pity party for me. I just want to let you know IT WILL be a struggle. It will put strain on all parts of your life. But gosh darn, it will be worth it. This is the real American Dream. Good luck and cheers.

-Tyler

LHBA Member
    Sanders, KY (across the river from Indiana)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    I have never borrowed during my build.... I live in Hawaii, (also debt free, and it feels great) so it was not necessary to live in it during the winter. I did not need to rush.

The best thing about living in a log home is when there is some kind of weather or wind going on outside... To hot, go down stairs.. The hottest its ever been in my basement is 69 degrees. To cold, go up stairs or bake some cookies or start a fire... My rather primitive fire place (it will be replaced this year) will heat the entire upper two stories very fast and can get overbearing.

Attachment 3955
    Love hearing about how easy it is to stay cool or warm in your log home! Hoping that is the case here too!
    Working on our dream one step at a time! Making strides slowly, but surely!