Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it like when you finish building your log home, mortgage free?

What's it like when you finish building your log home, mortgage free?

For those who've conquered a mortgage free build (small mortgage on the land still okay), whats it like when you finish?
    If you're comfortable sharing, how much did the total build end up costing you?
    And when did you start/completed the build?

Blog Entries
    I can only imagine....

But, when we're done, we are looking forward to the security that if something happens to me, she won't have to worry about a monthly house payment.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

We had our lot loan paid off in a couple years after completing the house (with cash as we went along).

Awesome feeling.
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    We had our land paid off in 8 years, then 8 years later we finally broke ground. We are not typical because we only work on the place when we want to and see no dire rush. You'll be done before we are, but this thing is art and therapy for us. We'll have $70,000 or so in ours including appliances and landscaping. It'll be worth every nickel and every minute. Currently we are making the coolest Blue Pine kitchen countertops that the World has ever seen.

If you are in a hurry, you could easily do it a lot faster than we are. If you are thrifty, you could do it a lot cheaper.

Just do it... You know you want to and we all know you'll succeed.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Got me a divorce...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess you can say I'm mortgage free. The land is paid for and I have no debt. Presently living in an off grid, 140 sf (yes the numbers are correct) "tiny cabin" while I build my main cabin. I only work 3 or 4 days a month just to say I do something. I do have other income from my VA disability and my wife's survivor benefits. My biggest fear is not having enough money to complete the cabin or the county raising the taxes to a point where I either have to give it up or work more hours. I get up when I feel like it and go to bed when I've had enough for the day. If my aches and pains would leave me alone, I'd probably have this thing built already. My girlfriend likes to complain about work and how she's going to walk out and quit one day. She refuses to live with me in my "tiny cabin". Can't blame her as the dog take up too much bed ). She has a 2000 sf paycheck eater in the city, so I don't see her quitting anytime soon.

Disclaimer: I do go stay with my girlfriend frequently. I was out here 3 months straight and it was nice once I got the hang of it. You have to think ahead a lot. Simple things like drawing water for a bath, drinking water, gas for the generator, making sure the batteries are topped off each day.....things you take for granted living on grid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r5t0ut21 View Post
    I guess you can say I'm mortgage free. The land is paid for and I have no debt. Presently living in an off grid, 140 sf (yes the numbers are correct) "tiny cabin" while I build my main cabin. I only work 3 or 4 days a month just to say I do something. I do have other income from my VA disability and my wife's survivor benefits. My biggest fear is not having enough money to complete the cabin or the county raising the taxes to a point where I either have to give it up or work more hours. I get up when I feel like it and go to bed when I've had enough for the day. If my aches and pains would leave me alone, I'd probably have this thing built already. My girlfriend likes to complain about work and how she's going to walk out and quit one day. She refuses to live with me in my "tiny cabin". Can't blame her as the dog take up too much bed ). She has a 2000 sf paycheck eater in the city, so I don't see her quitting anytime soon.

Disclaimer: I do go stay with my girlfriend frequently. I was out here 3 months straight and it was nice once I got the hang of it. You have to think ahead a lot. Simple things like drawing water for a bath, drinking water, gas for the generator, making sure the batteries are topped off each day.....things you take for granted living on grid.
    It almost sounds like you are bragging that you are lazier than I am. I call that simply a hollow boast until I see it in person.

One thing for certain... It could never happen with a debt load to pay each month.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    It almost sounds like you are bragging that you are lazier than I am. I call that simply a hollow boast until I see it in person.

One thing for certain... It could never happen with a debt load to pay each month.
    Actually, I don't think I have ever worked harder. It's just different when you are working for yourself and even more so when don't have to work to pay the bank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r5t0ut21 View Post
    Actually, I don't think I have ever worked harder. It's just different when you are working for yourself and even more so when don't have to work to pay the bank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I knew it! I shall retain the title.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I have never borrowed during my build.... I live in Hawaii, (also debt free, and it feels great) so it was not necessary to live in it during the winter. I did not need to rush.

The best thing about living in a log home is when there is some kind of weather or wind going on outside... To hot, go down stairs.. The hottest its ever been in my basement is 69 degrees. To cold, go up stairs or bake some cookies or start a fire... My rather primitive fire place (it will be replaced this year) will heat the entire upper two stories very fast and can get overbearing.

house1.jpg
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!