Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NIAC Surviving a Catastrophic Power Outage Dec. 2018

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    I get more than enough protein from beans, eggs, kale, spinach, etc. There’s more protein in a pound of kale than there is in a pound of steak. Not trying to convert anybody, cuz then the price of veggies would go up
    Just saying, I’m not at all worried about no meat, no dairy.
    At my checkups, my doctor says I’m the healthiest patient he has.
    No offense meant, Bo, really.

If it wasn't for being a vegetarian, I would never know that it wasn't red meat causing my high cholesterol: I went to a check up, and the doctor said to cut back on the red meat- my cholesterol was really high. I said, "I'm a vegetarian." "Well, you need to exercise more." "I bike 10 miles a day." Well, he thought it was family history or something. Turns out, I was working at a fast food place, and my boss was giving me free milkshakes every day (yes, real milk- and lots of sugar). I found out 20 years later it was the SUGAR causing my high cholesterol, not the saturated fat. I don't actually subsist on red meat, but I do find it tasty. But that store bought processed stuff is definitely bad for you. We could all do better with twice as many vegetables as meat, no matter what our views are.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

No offense taken.

You’re right on about the sugar. Wicked stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LHBA Member
    Grew up in SE Iowa, a 54 babe. Ate big farm raise food big meals. Fast forward wish my parent's would have carried on the tradition of lard in the cast iron firing pan for cooking. I can't remember a friend's kitchen that did not have a lard frying pan on the stove ready to feed us brats. Fast forward, it sucks to lose your parents to Staten drugs, blood presser meds etc........I am on no meds,feel great always been a fat eater and at 65 will continue doing so. Low fat is a brain robber, IMHO. I enjoy the Keto diet, stop eating mid-afternoon, I burn fat for fuel, eat organ meat etc, Beef, Elk, Deer, a see food diet. I do not eat processed food if I can't pronounce the ingredients I don't eat it Life is to short not to enjoy the savory taste of meat. Our ancestor's did it for thousands of years. I do not go to doctors and don't plan on having one to each his or hers own. I do avoid refind sugar complexity. Heven't stepped into a Dr office in 30 plus years going fon 40. But to each his own materialism and decisions.

Blog Entries
    Well all I know is that if it is slow enough or stupid enough to grab, I'll eat it. Animal, vegetable, entamable (look it up, Bo), or mineral... If someone on the planet can thrive on it, I'll eat it.

I have found wild mushrooms hard to look at for the past few years, but everything else is fair game.

PS... I did the vegetarian thing several times for several years at a time in the far past. It always ended with some cute bug or steak walking up to me and saying "Wanna live dangerously, Big Boy?". That's all it took to turn me.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    . There’s more protein in a pound of kale than there is in a pound of steak.
    I hear that said about broccoli too.

Unfortunately that is untrue. The accurate statement is "per calorie," not "per pound." Pound for pound, kale has about half the amount of protein to steak. You'd have to consume an absurd amount of kale to match the grams of protein gained from steak.
    The second half of the problem is, simply counting grams of protein isn't a measure of healthy living. It's what the protein is to supply, which is amino acids, and more particularly the essential amino acids. Neither broccoli nor kale can provide all the essential amino acids needed for the building blocks of healthy muscle healing and development. I believe it is just 6.5 oz of steak to get a full daily allowance of essential amino acids. That's not to say Bo's diet doesn't gain the remaining needed amino acids from other things in his diet, just that kale is not a truly comparable alternative to steak.

I have no problem with those who choose to be vegetarian. Just pointing out just one of the many pieces of bad information on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

And medium rare/bloody kale never tastes as good as steak
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Good correction Rod.
    That’s debatable, Ronnie

I grew up butchering hogs and chickens and meat was my main food source until college. After a summer of working at a national meat packing plant, I never touched processed meats again (hot dogs, bologna, etc). I got sick just watching what went into that stuff.
    In my thirties I eliminated most meat after studying Genesis (meat was okay after the flood, but it wasn’t the ideal beginning diet).
    Then in 2005, at age 55, I read the China Study by Colin Campbell and haven’t touched meat since then. It has more protein per calorie, but at what cost?
    I’m not looking to convert anybody, just saying that a lot of factors can go into a decision; like heart disease, cancer, cost, personal choice, availability, green house emissions, etc. etc.
    Now my Mom was a meat eater her whole life and she lived to be 96, but my Dad only made it to 70, so yes, there’s something to counteract every argument you can come up with. All my siblings and cousins joke about me being vegan now, but whatever. To each his own.

Blog Entries
    Once you meet Bo you'll have a harder time with the medical arguments against his eating habits and lifestyle. The old rascal beams health and vitality out of every pore. I have as hard a time keeping up with him now as I did when I was 5 and he was 14 years older than me. His mind is as sharp today... well, it is hard to complete that sentence without turning it into a sarcastic paraprosdokian.

I think there is plenty of evidence pointing to problems with the normal American diet. I'll be the poster child if you like.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Yeah, last summer, I really buckled down on taking control of my eating habits, after finally getting sick of a slowly ever-increasing gut as I age. I'm 5'-8", and was pushing 185lbs. Through mostly a keto based diet, I dropped 30 lbs in about eight weeks, but taking care to watch the amino acids, so I didn't sacrifice muscle mass in the process. At that point, I changed my diet to more of a calorie-regulatory method. Basically I strive to hold in the 150 to 155 lb range. I'll allow myself to splurge a little if I'm running on the low side, and restrict myself a bit if I get on the high side. It's great, because I get to eat everything I always have before deciding to loose weight, perhaps just not as often. Funny thing, when switching to weight maintaining mode, for several more weeks, I continued to loose the "spare tire." Not exactly sure what was going on there. I guess I must have been swapping fat for muscle mass, as weight alone was constant. Kind of impressive, considering I don't have any exercise regiment.

I really believe one can eat pretty much anything (lacking heavy preservatives and processing) and be healthy, provided it's all done in moderation. Slamming the door on one specific thing or another to supposedly make a healthier you, I don't believe is realistic nor necessary.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Once you meet Bo you'll have a harder time with the medical arguments against his eating habits and lifestyle. The old rascal beams health and vitality out of every pore. I have as hard a time keeping up with him now as I did when I was 5 and he was 14 years older than me. His mind is as sharp today... well, it is hard to complete that sentence without turning it into a sarcastic paraprosdokian.

I think there is plenty of evidence pointing to problems with the normal American diet. I'll be the poster child if you like.
    I try. I just turned 69 a week ago and today I did 40 pushups, 30 squats, 50 sit-ups and walked 6 miles.