Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NIAC Surviving a Catastrophic Power Outage Dec. 2018

Happy birthday, Bo. many happy returns

LHBA Member
    [QUOTE=BoFuller;151154]I try. I just turned 69 a week ago and today I did 40 pushups, 30 squats, 50 sit-ups and walked 6 miles.

Plus built a log home.

Blog Entries
    Yup, Happy Birthday Bro.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Belated happy birthday, Bo!

I will never forget an article I read in the Sunday paper insert, Parade magazine, many years ago. It was an annual article on the oldest people in the US, or possibly the world. One guy was over 110, maybe 112 or more. The journalist called his phone number in Alaska, and the 80+ daughter answered. The journalist asked to speak to the father and she said, "He can't come to the phone right now. He's out chopping firewood." Ha!

I wish such longevity for you, too, Bo.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Late to this conversation but my question is where does the cow get all the right amino acids in the right combinations? Maybe they have a steak farm out back? Maybe I am wrong but I've always thought I understood that you can get a complete protein with all the necessary parts by combining a legume with a whole grain. I don't claim in any way to be the picture of health. My fault for not eating like I know I should.
    Brother in law went to a health and lifestyle center a few months ago. First day there. Taken off all diabetic meds including metformin and insulin. Diet, if it is green you can eat it and as much as you want. If it is not green you don't eat it. In 2 day blood sugar went from 200+ to 70-95. Lost 20 lbs first month. 15 lbs 2nd month. It's been 4-5 months. Healthier than in years. Other foods added back but no meats no dairy no processed sugers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Late to this conversation but my question is where does the cow get all the right amino acids in the right combinations? Maybe they have a steak farm out back? Maybe I am wrong but I've always thought I understood that you can get a complete protein with all the necessary parts by combining a legume with a whole grain. I don't claim in any way to be the picture of health. My fault for not eating like I know I should.
    Brother in law went to a health and lifestyle center a few months ago. First day there. Taken off all diabetic meds including metformin and insulin. Diet, if it is green you can eat it and as much as you want. If it is not green you don't eat it. In 2 day blood sugar went from 200+ to 70-95. Lost 20 lbs first month. 15 lbs 2nd month. It's been 4-5 months. Healthier than in years. Other foods added back but no meats no dairy no processed sugers.
    You go girl!

Right on.

Skeptics, read Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

inexpensive DIY power box

Illustrated turnkey solution if you have the need courtesy of ar-jedi https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors...one/22-693155/

"plastic box $4.16: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IURN5M
    "USB charger socket $13.28: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F73MGX8/
    "powerpole socket $19.99: https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pane...erpole-housing
    "USB reading lamp $9.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH9XR12
    "+12V/12AH battery
    " example: $29.85 https://www.batterysharks.com/12-Vol...r_ups12-12.htm
    "+ misc wiring and connectors"
    Last edited by misplayed-hand; 01-19-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added shipping for battery
    “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I adopted a low fat vegan diet about five years ago. I like how i feel. Dr John mcdougall has several books that helped me understand why the body thrives on such a diet. I still occasionally enjoy meat and in the beginning I’d crave meat or cheese or fat but after a couple years the desire for them went way down. I live on whole grains and potatoes with a cup or so of beans per day along with lots of veggies.
    Enjoying the journey.....

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    One of my fears as well, misplayed.

- We are looking to put in a root cellar- right under our kitchen floor.
    - Also looking at greenhouse designs
    - either I'm getting a condensation induced water distiller ("waterseer") or I'm making one. Waiting on the waterseer folks to get back from their new year holiday, I guess.

The one thing I haven't figure out is refrigeration. And I'm not an expert on preserving meat, so learning one of those things is on my list. An EMP would probably destroy electronics, so unless I had a backup solar system stored in my faraday cage, I'd be out of luck. Refrigeration was one of the main things we missed during the week-long power outage we had here a few years back.

My cabin in Idaho was just down the street from Paris Ice caves. Pioneers used to get ice from these caves even in the summer- there's ice there year round. Here in the south, the ice is only lasts until the sun comes up, so I'll have to think about this one.
    Built a trial greenhouse. Just wanted to see if the proof of concept was viable. Went to my sister's for Thanksgiving several years ago. Took fresh vegetables.
    "Where'd you get those?" (The quality was obvious).
    "From our place."
    "When???"
    "I picked them about an hour ago."
    220' of floor = 65% of the food for one person (no, 297' of greenhouse floor won't provide 100% of the food for one person). Angle iron running the length of the greenhouse. A beam has skateboard trucks riding on the angle iron. The beam has a sled that rides on the beam, and the planter, grower, harvester lies of the sled. Use double pane sliding door glass for the top. The greenhouse has concrete walls that are 6' into the ground. Put an electric fence around the greenhouse to keep the deer from crashing through.

A freezer/ref'r is also pretty simple. Mostly just mass and insulation. The rest is just minor details.
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawGrandpa View Post
    Built a trial greenhouse. Just wanted to see if the proof of concept was viable. Went to my sister's for Thanksgiving several years ago. Took fresh vegetables.
    "Where'd you get those?" (The quality was obvious).
    "From our place."
    "When???"
    "I picked them about an hour ago."
    220' of floor = 65% of the food for one person (no, 297' of greenhouse floor won't provide 100% of the food for one person). Angle iron running the length of the greenhouse. A beam has skateboard trucks riding on the angle iron. The beam has a sled that rides on the beam, and the planter, grower, harvester lies of the sled. Use double pane sliding door glass for the top. The greenhouse has concrete walls that are 6' into the ground. Put an electric fence around the greenhouse to keep the deer from crashing through.

A freezer/ref'r is also pretty simple. Mostly just mass and insulation. The rest is just minor details.
    Any pics of the greenhouse? Inside and out.
    The Grajiola Family