Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organ Dominance...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Member's Side...

You folks who are just visiting this forum have no idea how active and fascinating the member's side is. I frequently see 6 or 8 people viewing the public side while at that same moment there may be as many as 20 or 30 viewers on the private side with 6 to 20 new posts each day. Heck, I get to argue more on the LHBA forum (with people from all over the Country) than I do right here in my own house. It is an amazing spot on the internet where you could easily waste an hour of your precious time, each and every day, while gleaning the information and inspiration required to build a debt free Home for your Grandchildren to inherit. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

The problem is that the member's side is so durned active that some of the most thought provocative subjects get lost in the shuffle. I have started some nearly interesting threads over there, only to be snubbed with only 50 or 75 responding posts. Case in point, I posted about blacksmithing hinges for my front door and it was somehow overshadowed by the story of one of our member's four day project to get his 8,000 lb (1,974 kt) ridgepole up to its home 31' (9-1/3 ml) in the air using nothing but his yard tractor and a Leatherman tool to do it... in the rain. note from moderator... with consideration for our international viewers, we have edited in the metric translation of all of LHN's colloquial measurements I am paraphrasing his project, but you get the idea.

There is a lot of "non-loggy" information that the novice requires during a LHBA build and the simultaneous lifestyle changes that occur at the same time. You will find that info on the member's side of this forum. Don't beleive me? Currently, on the member's side there are active threads titled:

Old Style Harbor freight demo hammer being sold at Home Depot for Cheap
    Choo! Choo! Where is the Train?
    Project management
    Why have a telehandler...
    Why have block and tackle.
    Questions about Living on Site While You Build
    Laser
    Feeling Overwhelmed...
    allways makes me wonder why its so cheap
    Wonky roof ?
    Using neighbor's well
    Free labor in upstate new York/northern PA
    NY build help!
    favorite firearms
    Iowa Build

These are all real thread titles on the member's side that get an active crowd arguing and helping. Heck, "favorite firearms" has garnered 88 pages of response in just 5-1/2 years and it is nowhere near the most active thread!
    Last edited by loghousenut; 10-13-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    The other side of the forum is another world... Sometimes I look down here and feel bad for the non-members that only have posts to look at that are several weeks old or more. They have no idea what they are missing and many probably wonder if it's legitimate. It took me a while of crawling around before I decided to take the plunge. Would be difficult to ask for or stumble upon a better bunch of strangers (& some acquaintances at this point) to correspond with.

Blog Entries
    Yup, case n point is Allen himself and his relationship with me. He is a headstrong young Buck who seems to know most everything about the stuff that I know a little something about. I am a worn out old Frat with a dwindling brain but all this wisdom that I'd like to remember so I can pass it on. Allen lives back on the East Coast and I live out here in Sunny Southern Oregon. What are the chances that he and I would ever meet up and get a chance to argue about machinery repair, blacksmithing, general husbandry of snails and their preparation for the table, and log home construction. This forum is the only place that coulda happened and my life has been all the richer for our relationship. I look forward to his next trip to the Left Coast so he can stay a week or two at the LHN estate and consummate out relationship in person.

The other side of this forum really is just like that!
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Are you done your home yet LHN??
    I mean, we started around the same time.... Too much time at the keyboard
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Of course I am not done yet. Too much time at the keyboard!

We are getting close. Passed our firm deadline of last Christmas. We will pass the other firm deadline of October 18th (Patty's Birthday). Probably make a really concrete deadline to be in by this Christmas.

Whatever happens, Patty has spent a month or three planing all of our Port Orford Cedar for the finish floors downstairs. It is all stacked inside ready to start nailing down any time but we have most of the interior chinking yet to do. Stacking all that lumber was a challenge because we have a 20'x4' pile of 3" Blue Pine that we will make into countertops and interior doors once we get the kitchen cabinets screwed up and down (they are in the way too).

Speaking of bathrooms, we seem to be having trouble finding time to do all that tile so we are getting close to hiring it out. I know, that doesn't sound like us, but retirement has really put constraints on our time.

Now that I put it in writing, I suppose there will be future deadlines to miss. We both love every minute of the project and the finished product is turning out gazanga nice. Glad it happened this way and I wouldn't change a thing, maybe.

It's exciting when you are close to done. After all that work.

When we moved in (just my wife and I & 2 dogs) we didn't even have interior doors up, just a blanket for the bathroom. Inspector rolled his eyes and carried on.

We finally finished the last of the trim a few weeks before we moved and sold.

I cannot wait to get started on the next one, finally!

Gutters. He always forgets he still has to put up the gutters.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Haha gutters! Yes.

Around here, lots of people do chains instead of downspouts. I think it looks much better.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Haha gutters! Yes.

Around here, lots of people do chains instead of downspouts. I think it looks much better.
    OMG! I had to google "rain chains"... I think LHN may need to add gutters and a blacksmithing project to his list.

Blog Entries
    The ribs on my standing seam are 12" apart. I suppose I could bend and rivet a little funnel like diverter so that all the water from each roof panel falls onto its own rain chain. There are about fifty panels per side so that is 100 chains, each one has to nearly reach the ground, so maybe about 11 feet long.

If I start blacksmithing rebar into chain just after breakfast, I might be done in time for our CO.

I am glad we didn't go with taller walls. A project like this could easily get out of hand.