So, I'm about half way through my build, and I'm really excited about getting it under roof by winter. Its a necessity. But, aside from my personal progress, I'd like to share a few reality checks and offer a recommendation or two.

1) Timeline: If you are building much of it yourself, you may struggle to accurately predict how long it will take to do each phase of your build. Its just difficult to know and gauge how long if you've never done it before. Set your expectation to be unmet IF you're handling most of the build for yourself. Folks at work ask me regularly, "WHen ya moving in?" My response has begun to be: "I'm focusing on the next stage

2) Logs: Get the logs you want; not the logs you are willing to take. I understand not everyone can afford, or has access to, large logs with minimal taper, or the funds to pay for them. However, if you spring for them, you will never regret it. I bought logs twice, partly for that reason, and partly because of damage during transport.

3) Basement: It's money well spent. Go ahead and do basement: I poured our CRAWLS SPACE FOUNDATION when I had two kids. We now have 4. Ooops. Worst case, you'll get to see your grandkids more with the extra space. I now wish I would have done a basement.

4) Cost: You will spend be more than you expect. Its inevitable.

5) Living on Site: this is ideal. Traveling can be done, but unless your work schedule or retirement allow regular travel, try to position yourself to live on site.

6) Class: Take the friggin class. If you don't, your ship will never sail. You'll be watching us float the seas of saws and stain from the shore. Plus, look at it this, way, you think the class is costly now, wait another 15years. Consider the class an investment. It's value will grow, and you'll be in great position to capitalize on it when the timing is right.

Myself and others will be happy to answer your questions, or perhaps Ellsworth or Steve can answer them in Vegas?? ;-)