Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Considerations for those Considering

Some Considerations for those Considering

So, I'm about half way through my build, and I'm really excited about getting it under roof by winter. Its a necessity. But, aside from my personal progress, I'd like to share a few reality checks and offer a recommendation or two.

1) Timeline: If you are building much of it yourself, you may struggle to accurately predict how long it will take to do each phase of your build. Its just difficult to know and gauge how long if you've never done it before. Set your expectation to be unmet IF you're handling most of the build for yourself. Folks at work ask me regularly, "WHen ya moving in?" My response has begun to be: "I'm focusing on the next stage

2) Logs: Get the logs you want; not the logs you are willing to take. I understand not everyone can afford, or has access to, large logs with minimal taper, or the funds to pay for them. However, if you spring for them, you will never regret it. I bought logs twice, partly for that reason, and partly because of damage during transport.

3) Basement: It's money well spent. Go ahead and do basement: I poured our CRAWLS SPACE FOUNDATION when I had two kids. We now have 4. Ooops. Worst case, you'll get to see your grandkids more with the extra space. I now wish I would have done a basement.

4) Cost: You will spend be more than you expect. Its inevitable.

5) Living on Site: this is ideal. Traveling can be done, but unless your work schedule or retirement allow regular travel, try to position yourself to live on site.

6) Class: Take the friggin class. If you don't, your ship will never sail. You'll be watching us float the seas of saws and stain from the shore. Plus, look at it this, way, you think the class is costly now, wait another 15years. Consider the class an investment. It's value will grow, and you'll be in great position to capitalize on it when the timing is right.

Myself and others will be happy to answer your questions, or perhaps Ellsworth or Steve can answer them in Vegas?? ;-)
    Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/EAJWU
    More Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ca7qYAd

"In my Father's house are many rooms: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." --Jesus of Nazerath

LHBA Member
    7) Raise your kids so you can spoil your grandchildren... Or spoil your kids and you'll be raising grandchildren.

LHBA is probably one of the best investments in myself I've ever made.

John17three......
    FANTASTIC POST!!
    So so so true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Watch yer top knot"

Since this is the internet (and the public side of the forum) you may wonder if John17three knows what he's talking about. Judge for yourself:

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fantastic post!
    but I think its cute that you think you're half way through your build when you don't even have a roof yet

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by panderson03 View Post
    fantastic post!
    but I think its cute that you think you're half way through your build when you don't even have a roof yet
    Finish work on any kind of project always seems to be a kick in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Finish work on any kind of project always seems to be a kick in the butt.
    Mr Allen84, I like it when i find things on which we can agree

Quote Originally Posted by panderson03 View Post
    fantastic post!
    I noticed that too.
    But I didn’t want to burst any bubbles 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Watch yer top knot"

'Twas funny indeed!

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I remember my BI asking when I thought I would be moving after I was dried in. I said by Christmas I hope. He laughed and asked what year? Two years later we moved in one week before Christmas.