Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Questions

Regular+ User

Land Questions

Hey Everyone,

So I have been eager to take the class, finally got some money saved up and hopefully if they announce one I can jump in the next class. Anyways as I have been working on paying down debt and getting in shape financially to build a house and buy some land. As I look at land prices they vary widely of course depending on region, access to cities/work and so on. I have seen a lot of affordable land out in the western states but have seen the issue of water rights come up. Does anyone have a good source of info on how that applies to land owners out west. I would love to get 40+ acres at a good price but if it means I can't raise animals or have a way to grow my own food due to restrictive water access issues then it's not really a bargain. On the other hand in the other areas where land is somewhat affordable you are looking at very high property taxes (northeast area of the country). At this point in time land costs where I live in Arkansas can be pretty wild depending on region, anything with farming/livestock potential usually comes at a high premium. I am a younger guy, fairly new to this so any help is appreciated. I know not to buy anything before attending the class but just trying to get an idea if my dreams are realistic so I can plan accordingly for my budget.

LHBA Member
    http://getawayland.com/ Good luck on the search.

LHBA Member
    Move to the old South. You can get cheap land decently close to civilization, taxes are generally reasonable, and you never have to worry about water.

Stay away from the west. Just look at the demographics and ask yourself if there is going to be any good resolution to the water issue. Plus its always brown out west.

But there's not really a magic bullet for land. You get what you pay for. If you find a bunch of good cheap land, you haven't. There is always a catch. Unless you hit the one in a bazillion lottery where the little old lady you helped cross the street one time wills you her 300 acre horse farm outside of Lexington KY.

Also be aware of utilities easements.

I'm having a very hard time finding land in the area I want to build in Vermont, because most of the lots have utilities "on adjacent lot". That means that you're going to have to get a permanent utility easement from your neighbor. You can (and should, in my opinion) make this a contingency for the sale, but most sellers don't even want to bother with this. Call me cynical, but I think they are just looking for city folk who don't know any better so they can easily rip them off. The realtors will tell you it's okay without a utility easement, and will tell you they can just dig underground or whatever. But that is illegal. And if you don't have a permanent utility easement. your current neighbor may be okay with the electric company running lines now, but what happens in the future if they pass away or sell? The new owner could deny it and then you no longer have electricity to your house.

Find a good real estate lawyer in the area you're looking in, and run listings that you are interested in by him or her.

And then some of us pick land because there are no utilities. No power lines for miles and we like it that way. We are totally solar with septic and well. And we are out West. And love it.

To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yes, not to disparage any of you who want to be off the grid.

Look at land in West Virginia
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Look at land in West Virginia
    . . . . but make sure you have an online career or are retired with a decent nest egg.

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Unless you hit the one in a bazillion lottery where the little old lady you helped cross the street one time wills you her 300 acre horse farm outside of Lexington KY.
    Are you still sore about that? I told you, it only happened to me twice. :-)

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Regular+ User
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I am not against having neighbors but it seems everything is built these days where I can open a window and reach out and touch my neighbors house. I have thought about off grid but would have to do my research before feeling comfortable taking that leap. Definitely want solar eventually but main focus is first house and then take it from there. I currently work in a job where I could do it remotely but my current employer has decided to start making everyone work in the office again. I have a feeling that will change eventually but until then I'm stuck in an office. I will keep my eyes open and see what works for me. Thanks again!