Thread: Land! (Colorado)

Land! (Colorado)

Hi! Though I realize ideally I'd purchase land after taking the class, this may not work out for me, and may have to beforehand (hoping to make it to the May class) but obviously don't want to make a huge mistake. Without wanting to ask for any info I shouldn't (class secrets ) I have the general idea that local regulations, building permit costs, etc, are bigger issues, I am worried that the land I am currently looking at could end up smaller than i'd end up wanting for some reason I'm not considering. It is 3.5 acres, and long and fairly narrow, vs. 40 acre sites id been looking at for the same cost, I just like it much better in general though, for the location (Rye, Colorado) and type of land. Assuming the permits, regulations, etc, are not an issue, is there any reason the size could be? There are no neighbors on either side, or behind, in fact both lots (on either side) are for sale, which as i do hope to sell after, (if things go well, for a bigger, better lot later to build again) this might be a good selling point. It is a heavily treed lot, but with a good clearing already there, and wide access. I need to check a couple of other things, but I wondered if there is any obvious issues here I could be missing?

Thanks!

Amy

LHBA Member
    I could be off some but I believe the smallest build site I've seen on here was one acre and only about half of it was usable for staging and building.

Is there an HOA or other restricive covenants?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I could be off some but I believe the smallest build site I've seen on here was one acre and only about half of it was usable for staging and building.
    Your right. There was a woman a while back that was building on an acre up north though they ran into difficulties with the sight being so small but as far as I know she did it.

Considering a log rack area for peeling can easily take up a quarter acre, foundation is another 16th acre, a septic system can take up a half acre, (not considering the property line setbacks that will crowd you further) and maneuvering room, an acre vaporizes pretty quick. Heck, I probably have a 1/2 acre tied up in driveway and parking areas alone.

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 04-16-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    a septic system can take up a half acre, (not considering the property line setbacks that will crowd you further) .

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    Unless you're lucky enough to have your septic system on your neighbors property. Believe it or not, I've been seeing a lot of that lately... On land that has been subdivided, example: the septic site for tract #5 might be in the back corner of tract #6 and #6 septic site at the front of #6 lot. I'm surprised they are allowed to do that. Seems like they are potentially setting up future neighborhood feuds.

Thanks for the comments! Luckily the lots on either side of me are empty (and for sale---if things go well I would love to try to buy and/or get owner financing and build on them). They are long rectangular lots, and I obviously have a lot to learn, but no HOA or covenants, I would need to deal with septic system, and can see a few things here I hadn't fully considered, and really need to measure how big the actual clear area is vs. how much I'll need. I was worried about 3.5 acres, one would definitely be a challenge.

LHBA Member
    What is the water situation like? Are wells easily drilled, or is there a public water supply at the road?
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut