Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pex Plumbing and Rats?

Pex Plumbing and Rats?

I did a job and they used some pex...The plumber warned that rats can eat it. Customer said they have no rats.
    Since water is a big enemy... I thought I would post this up. Any one experience rats eating pex?

Blog Entries
    Never heard of such a thing, but I think I'll try to limit the rat population in my plumbing just in case.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Gophers have caused leaks chewing holes in buried HDPE irrigation pipe. Wouldn't be surprised if a Pack Rat chewed up PEX tubing.

LHBA Member
    We did have a mouse chew a small hole in a 1/4" plastic fridge water supply inside a wall - that one was hard to find. It's not in a wall anymore.
    All water lines are pex, no problem there but we seem to have completely solved mouse problem (cat + poison jn walls).

Blog Entries
    I always keep a can (plastic bottle) of oil under the hood of every car and have taught my spawn to do the same. Earlier this winter we had three different oil cans under three different hoods get chewed on in one week. Two of them had fairly large holes chewed above the line of oil, causing some degree of a mess while driving. The can in the Miata had a small hole in the bottom, causing a slight mess that turned into a bigger mess upon driving and the mess eventually reached the exhaust manifold all at once. Now we know that the Miata burns oil externally.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

dakota.abe, for those of us who have small dogs, hate cats, and don't want to use poison, is there anything else you can recommend?

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I always keep a can (plastic bottle) of oil under the hood of every car and have taught my spawn to do the same. Earlier this winter we had three different oil cans under three different hoods get chewed on in one week. Two of them had fairly large holes chewed above the line of oil, causing some degree of a mess while driving. The can in the Miata had a small hole in the bottom, causing a slight mess that turned into a bigger mess upon driving and the mess eventually reached the exhaust manifold all at once. Now we know that the Miata burns oil externally.
    That'd be the best oil leak a person could ask for.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GinaC View Post
    dakota.abe, for those of us who have small dogs, hate cats, and don't want to use poison, is there anything else you can recommend?
    Sticky traps. We had an incident late one night on a holiday where one of the dogs ate a bunch of poison and they both looked guilty... So I had to take both of them to the emergency vet. Was NOT cheap. No more poison in this house.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaC View Post
    I needed an ultra sonic pest repellerthat ran on dc. I ended up with something like this

Look at this on eBay
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391898016827

Of course my friend wired up the solar wrong, and the parasitic buck converter used reduced the 24 volt battery to 15 volts, thereby ruining it ($400). It would have worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by StressMan79; 03-27-2018 at 01:15 PM.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I might need to try that car thing.
    Once when my kids were visiting from Atlanta, at the end of the visit they were back almost to Atlanta on the freeway when Daughter in law who was driving suddenly had a mouse running up her leg and into her lap.
    Son who was sleeping probably had the most injuries, ie heart attack from the screaming taking place. Managed to get off to the shoulder and out of the car without wrecking. But then to find the mouse and get it out of the car before anyone would get back in. To bad they didn't have a camera on the whole thing. Poor mouse. Can you imagine, from the middle of nowhere in the mountains of North Carolina to be thrown onto the streets in Atlanta. We have also had one ride to town and back 45 min each way two different times, on the hood and wind shield. One time riding the wipers because it was raining. Might need that car thing.