Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pex Plumbing and Rats?

Answering the original question, absolutely, a rat can and will chew through plastic.

As for dealing with mice, I've tried many things. Before the trailer got skirted, snap traps caught most inside, but some avoided them. (btw, I don't bait snap traps. Just place the paddle towards a wall, as mice run along walls, and go right over paddle) I knew where they were getting in and out, so I set up a little slide made from some aluminum flashing. It blocked mice from coming back in, but forced mice wanting to leave (for water/food) to use the slide, which led to a bucket of water.

In the work van, after having it repaired, when mice decimated the wiring harness under the floor at, and built a nest above the headliner, I installed an ultrasonic noise generator in the cab and put sticky traps above the headliner. No mice ever came back to get stuck.

The miata, tried mothballs with meh results, and they stink. I was told to try dryer sheets. This works awesome and they smell nice too!

But by far, the most effective device for around the property/pole barn, is a tipping plank that fits on the rim of a five gallon bucket. Bait the plank with a little bit of peanut butter and some water in the bucket, and these self-resetting traps do all the work. When I first set them up, I caught several dozen the first night! Too bad there isn't a market for dead mice.

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GinaC View Post
    dakota.abe, for those of us who have small dogs, hate cats, and don't want to use poison, is there anything else you can recommend?
    We didn't try sticky, may be good...We do not like poison either but out in the country we have to wage war sometimes. Luckily it was not a mt. lion to deal with.

I put the poison INSIDE the wall - it has a desiccant in it so mice will dry up nice & crispy. Also thought they were coming in through the soffit which is close to a shelf 12’ high in the connected garage so put some up there & some in boxes made to allow only mice to get at the goods. Haven’t seen, heard or smelled one since.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota.abe View Post
    some in boxes made to allow only mice to get at the goods.
    Dogs can still get the poison out of those. We used to catch city rats alive with something similar to what rod described. We would use a big trashcan or 55 gallon drum with the top cut out and rest a piece of wood against it (ramp from the ground to the top), put some food in the bottom of the barrel. They jump in, eat their last meal and can't figure out how to get back out. They were an issue at the shop I used to work at. I've seen one the size of a cat, not a kitten, a cat. Jorge slept in the shop when it was too cold in his camper and would sometimes fall asleep eating Cheetos...and get woke up to rats nibbling the crumbs off his fingers. Sweet Dreams.

Blog Entries
    One night we was all sitting around the campfire and Ronnie Rcklmbr was bragging about how they handle problem rats back in his end of West Virginia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFhx0Yp8sUE
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    One night we was all sitting around the campfire and Ronnie Rcklmbr was bragging about how they handle problem rats back in his end of West Virginia...

Thats a true hillbilly if i ever saw one.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post

How on earth does that video only have 468 views?
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb Level View Post
    How on earth does that video only have 468 views?
    468 cousins viewed.

Bucket trap (google it) but a bait block in a bait box (Tomcat brand is a good one) an area where the mice/rats go, but dog doesnt, ie in a crawl space etc. These lock, so not accesible except for smaller varmints, even a small kid cant get into them. I use a couple and they require a special key to open. The blocks are pinned in place, so they cant pack it to next, they are forced to eat it right on the spot. .
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    God love those dogs, just having a blast. Certainly earning their keep for sure.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.