Thread: Smaller Logs?

Smaller Logs?

Most log cabins I see use smaller logs. Is it not practical to use maybe 8" logs on a butt and pass house? I realize it will mean more chinking. Are there any other downsides? Thanks.

Lower R-value/thermal mass. (higher heating/cooling costs)

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    My place has 12" to 28" logs. All last winter the lowest setting on our direct vent stove kept it nice inside. Even below zero outside.

This summer all of our 100 degree plus heat has never made it hot inside. No AC.

I have friends with 8" Log walls and they are constantly whining that they are going back to a stick house. Hit all summer and cold all winter.

Big logs are where it's at.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    My place has 12" to 28" logs. All last winter the lowest setting on our direct vent stove kept it nice inside. Even below zero outside.

This summer all of our 100 degree plus heat has never made it hot inside. No AC.

I have friends with 8" Log walls and they are constantly whining that they are going back to a stick house. Hit all summer and cold all winter.

Big logs are where it's at.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
    What he said.

I have very little temperature variation in my place, even when there are 50-60 degree swings outside.
    My walls are 22” at the smallest place and 34” at the biggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The thing to remember is your log in a butt and pass log home is like a the insulation in a 2x4 framed house, if you want your house to stay warm in winter and cool in the summer you would need to add more insulation then they say you need. But with these log homes the log is your insulation, that is why for the life of me i don't understand why people cut the sides of the log in the Appalachian style log homes. i feel like im watching someone take insulation down in a stick framed house.
    Jason - LHBA Class of May/2015

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall ~Confucius~