Thread: Name That Log Home

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My area (I'm in central Pennsylvania) won't allow kit homes any more, due to the inability to meet energy efficiency codes. But since that place is pre-existing, meeting code doesn't matter, except for what effect heating it will do to your finances. I'd ask to see their past winter energy bills, to get an idea what you are getting into.

Have you seen it in person yet? If not, they might have framed, insulated, and drywalled the inside to boost insulating values. At least nobody painted the "logs." (an easy way to cover up problems) but I would take a good look at the corners and below windows, especially on the North side. Taking an awl with you to poke and see if you find any soft (rot) areas is always a good idea.

As far as settling, I suspect that is pretty much done at this point, but check for issues with doors and windows sticking/jammed. Looking for gaps where roof meets the log walls (usually most prominent near the ridge on the gable ends) is a sign of mis-handled settling management. (you really need a ladder to see if gaps are present)

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 11-29-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box