Thread: Grid tie vs off grid

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    I don't recall where you are, but do a little checking about the power. There are places in this Country where if the power company is accessible, you can be billed a monthly amount whether you hook up or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I've never heard that but seems like something that could be taken to court... Something's just not right about it but doesn't surprise me at all. I have heard of people being punished with fines for living off grid on property they own.

Inoh, I have a similar situation but haven't gotten official pricing for fear of sticker shock. I have one pole on my property about 100 feet or so from the road. It has a meter box on it. I'm curious if my meter can be there and me be responsible for everything beyond that (would save the meter reader 1/2mile+ drive or walk up my gated driveway, 1mile+ up and down and it's from a different road front). My only reservation with that is security, since the meter won't be on or near the house... And if I can go that route they may require a breaker by the meter, another security issue unless I put an additional building near that power drop.

Something I've tossed around about solar power is to only use it for my lighting to start with. And to only use 12 volt DC lighting so inverters won't be necessary.
    Last edited by allen84; 07-24-2017 at 07:34 PM.