Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place for good affordable land?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Regular+ User

Best place for good affordable land?

Hello Everyone! I am looking at taking the class sooner than later, although I have been lurking for a while but haven't managed to get funds together to make the jump. Anyways, as I am looking to live a more debt free lifestyle I am drawn to building my own home, and owning my land. Where are some of the more affordable states/areas to buy land in our current market? I would ideally like to be able to start out small and buy more as I get the funds, with the idea of eventually owning some livestock etc.

Blog Entries
    It is not in sunny southern Oregon or anywhere within reach of retirees from California and all that California money.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Anywhere the economy is terrible
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Best place for good affordable land?

Where there are no jobs within an hours commute. And Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land can be pretty cheap between Buffalo NY and Albany NY depending on the area, but I would suggest staying away from New York State on the whole, many places get taxed to death to pay for New York City's programs. In fact a large portion of New Yorkers' property taxes go towards paying state run Medicaid for the poor in NYC. Also, the majority of property taxes goes towards teachers unions and their BS tenure system and premium retirement packages. It's not uncommon for a New Yorker to build a 2000-2200 sq-ft house and to pay $10,000 or more per year in property/school taxes. You'd pay about 1/3 of that in SoCal on the same size house. Liberalville USA...

LHBA Member
    I've lived in Arkansas and loved it. It's got a lot of beautiful land. I prefer the more hilly/mountainous western half of the state, but the eastern half (bordering the Mississippi) would have plenty of space for livestock.

In any case, I'd scour the entire state. I used LandWatch.com and saved a search. That's great for getting a very good feel for market values ($/acre is what I followed). Drive everywhere and walk a lot of land. A lot!

Peter

Regular+ User
    I agree Arkansas is beautiful and I have lived here my entire life, just in my area 20 acres of land is going for 500k + just because of all the growth in my city. Finding affordable land within commuting distance of my current job is almost impossible unless I want to live in some seedy type environments which of course with a family I do not. I will agree with you Donjuedo I am definitely looking at the western half in the Ozarks but its harder to find farmable land for a good price in that area. I have seen a lot of NY land for sale at great prices but seems that the property taxes would kill me once I built an actual house. I plan on getting out when its cooler and walking some land and talking to some owners, maybe finding a farm owner willing to let me throw up a small place to live in while buying the land from them. Not sure how that will go but there are plenty of aging farmers and no one to take over so maybe we can make some type of agreement.

If you were considering the West, I would look strongly at ID to get really nice land at a relatively reasonable price and still be within commute distance to a reasonably paying job. Do a landwatch search on over 20 acres and under $100k to see if you like anything. Also, consider that land is likely more negotiable than a house, so don't be afraid to go a little above your budget on asking price.

In the East, I have heard that KY, TN, WV, W. VA and W. NC have cheap land from members on this forum. That might be old information.

I should also add, that once I took the class, my thoughts on where I wanted to buy land changed radically. Take the class first. Buy land after.

Get this book: "Finding & Buying Your Place in the Country (Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country)" by Les & Carol Scher and Carol Scher

--ML
    Last edited by Mountain Lion; 07-12-2017 at 08:12 AM.

I would look for land with all the services already in place, like an old mobile home. Driveway/Elec/septic problems are destroying my budget.

And obviously stay out of NY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post
    I would look for land with all the services already in place, like an old mobile home. Driveway/Elec/septic problems are destroying my budget.

And obviously stay out of NY!!!!
    I'm putting in power right now at my lot, hooking it up to a shipping container to be my "construction/shop" trailer. (Some pics here: http://imgur.com/a/LTEuA)

It's going to cost me almost $15,000 for just electric, and that's with me doing all the work with equipment I already own. The power company is really bending me over for being 650ft from the road...

I still have water and gas to install someday too.

You can't get away with anything cheap in New York State, that's for damn sure...

So yeah, if at all possible a lot with services already installed is a great idea lol!