Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello again, and basic overview questions

Hello again, and basic overview questions

Ahhhh it's been awhile!
    Hello and greetings from Vancouver BC. A little about me ... again. I own a very busy seasonal business in vancouver which enables me to make my yearly income in 4-5months...the rest of the year is fairly open.

Problem is, my go time is spring summer and early fall. Talk to me about building seasons with log homes, is it critical to build during dry months only? Does heavy rainfall affect the logs during construction?

I've been going back and forth about earthbag construction and log construction and lately I've been trying to dig more into logs and understanding butt and pass more in depth ie how to lift logs, measure and drill for rebar, roofing systems, running electrical? etc. Does anybody on here have a user build/YouTube site/video blog that one has done or recommend for further self education before one takes the course?

A detached house here costs over 1million for a tear down so I'm looking to build near lillooet Bc where lots are very affordable and I'm really trying to have a solid understanding of butt and pass. I know "take the course " will be echoed and I agree but does anybody have any build blogs/videos they care to link for further pre education? Or books?

Greetings once again!
    TheLogNoob

LHBA Member
    The book Living Homes by Thomas Elpel discusses several building methods. I believe there was a section on butt and pass. It gave a basic overview if I recall correctly. As you say, it will be echoed, take the class. I understand wanting to fuel your mind with all the info you can. There are some great books out there but you won't find a replacement or equivalent to taking the class and being an LHBA member.

Oh yeah, not looking for a substitute for the class, for me it's all about pre prep so I fully understand everything that will be taught to me.

Just looking for links that other members may have documented to get a grip before attempting. Lots to digest!

Building season is pretty much year round depending on your location and what phase you are in. If wet and rainy like here in the winter it can get pretty muddy, so recommend stacking logs and doing the roof in the dry season. If you get snow then the same as far as stacking and roofing. Once under roof then all the inside work can be done year round as long as you have access.
    Rainfall doesn't effect the logs really but again can create a soupy mud pit, but this is true for any type of construction.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelognoob View Post
    Hello and greetings from Vancouver BC. TheLogNoob
    We have a member that built in Point Roberts... I know its in the US but they are Canadians... If I were you I would go over there and find and talk to them... It aint that big, and I bet it would be easy to find them... They built a 25 by 25 so its a good example of a small build... but you can go bigger..

Good Luck
    Last edited by rocklock; 04-06-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

I've been building over the winter and the mud really slows you down.

Ahhhh pt Roberts nice!
    Do you know the members screen name? Would they happen to be active on the forum?
    You are right , it's small and should
    Be easy to track them down wfor thin an hour or 2

Just physical stay off logs that are wet for any reason. (rain, dew, freshly peeled, etc) It's just not worth the risk of serious injury to try to get a few more hours of work in.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    The lognoob- greetings from Alabama. I see you joined in 2008. I started researching LHBA method in 2003-ish. In 2008, I had just purchased a HUD home in AL with cash from the sale of my cabin in Bear Lake, ID. I had mentioned to my wife that we ought to look into LHBA, but she didn't catch the vision until 2015. Once she was on fire, things proceeded in a forward fashion at much less than break-neck speed. Most of us come at this from our own experience, so techniques will vary. I found all the answers before I took the class (the method is not that "secret"), but it was the class that cemented the motivation and hardened it into iron willpower to "git-r-dun", as they say here in the South. I think the secret of LHBA is the members. I am pouring my concrete next week for a 40x40 pier foundation, and have 85+ huge logs up on racks that I harvested myself from my own and surrounding property for free.

Build when you can, with whatever materials you can find, in whatever weather you can stand, with whatever money you can spend. If you have more money than time, then use that to your advantage. With less money, it will go slower.

I have a blog documenting my experience so far, hoping it will answer some questions and inspire others.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Just physical stay off logs that are wet for any reason. (rain, dew, freshly peeled, etc) It's just not worth the risk of serious injury to try to get a few more hours of work in.
    I concur. Slipped coming out of my house on the logs I had set for stairs right after Christmas. Cost me two days work while my wrist recovered. Could have been much worse. I consider myself very lucky.