Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Solar Kits

It should work, but it will increase heat significantly, likely shortening lifespan.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

So I'm researching solar diy kits again. I'd like to put them on my roof. But I'm concerned about the wiring. Like how exactly do you may the connections? What kind of wire stubs are on each panel?? How do you wire it back together before going to the panel.

I can't find any info online all they talk about is wiring in parallel or in series.... I don't care about that

I've seen a couple different ways panels come. Some with a screw or threaded post and nut, but mostly with a pair of 3~4 foot wires stubbed out of a junction on the back, with MC3 (old type) or MC4 connectors on the ends. The connectors can be cut off if you wish, and use weather tight connectors directly into junction boxes, but better to buy the associated MC3 or MX4 pigtails and wire those into a junction box or electrical trough. Then you can change out panels quickly by just unplugging the MC connectors

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    I've seen a couple different ways panels come. Some with a screw or threaded post and nut, but mostly with a pair of 3~4 foot wires stubbed out of a junction on the back, with MC3 (old type) or MC4 connectors on the ends. The connectors can be cut off if you wish, and use weather tight connectors directly into junction boxes, but better to buy the associated MC3 or MX4 pigtails and wire those into a junction box or electrical trough. Then you can change out panels quickly by just unplugging the MC connectors

Ok, so each panel connects to a fairly idiot proof connection. And at some point all those wire go to a junction box where it then goes to the panel and backfeeds or is used etc.

Would you say that if I built my own house and wired at least half of it myself, it would be fairly easy to do?

Blog Entries
    Any fool of our caliber can do it. Get a look at Home Power online magazine and you'll get a handle on it.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Give me more info Throner. Grid-tied or off-grid (battery bank)? If off grid or hybrid, bank voltage? Panels voltage? MPPT or PWM type charge controller? Housed wired for AC, or both AC and DC?

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Give me more info Throner. Grid-tied or off-grid (battery bank)? If off grid or hybrid, bank voltage? Panels voltage? MPPT or PWM type charge controller? Housed wired for AC, or both AC and DC?

I would do grid tied.

I would do grid tied.

Blog Entries
    I'll watch this thread later on, but....

We wanted to orient the house so the angle for solar panels would be correct, but no matter what we did, it looked weird to us oriented that way towards the road. So, the plan is to have the garage roof face that direction instead. it'll probably work out better for accessing the panels anyway, since the garage will only be 1 story. Also (and the boss doesn't quite know this).... ima have a huge water tank in the attic of the garage, already piped and ready to feed the house as a gravity system- just a little valve inside the house to activate it. Sure, it won't feed the upstairs bathrooms in the house, but at least we'll have running water to the main level.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

I oriented my house for the max sun exposure on the Southern roof. It was either facing 175 degrees or 185 degrees, I forget which.
    Since I’m in the middle of 80 acres of trees, any direction would look the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro