Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested and saying hello from Seattle...

Interested and saying hello from Seattle...

Greetings,

My wife and I are both interested in a log home and started out looking in the kit home direction. We're seeking the most economical way to get a beautiful retirement home on acreage somewhere on Olympic Peninsula. We have a goal of having a space allowing multiple dwellings eventually . We're at the very starting gate - just started looking at land or land a few weeks ago.

I hit upon the LHBA site, read some pages, and they turned me away from the kit idea. Early in our marriage we rehabbed an old home, flipped it, and paid off our student debt. Now the question would be as we enter our 60s whether we'd have what it takes to build a log home we'd truly love on our own (or with help not yet specified).

I'm interested in how to scope land - I know you have soil requirements for septic, but what about for siting a home? Does the building methods for LHBA involve use of a cement foundation?

We'd hope for a home in the 1400 to 1700 square foot range - room enough to take in guests. How ambitious is it to think of two people with no significant health infirmities (but also not spring chickens!) and maybe some friends to help here and there pulling this off?

Is there general advice others who are underway might have for someone investigating this idea and feeling enthusiastic?

Yes, we are thinking about the training in May - I read the positive feedback about it and trust its the real deal. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on that, but considering it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave & Sue

LHBA Member
    This will be echoed, take the class. It can be done at almost any budget as long as you put in the work.

LHBA Member
    Lots of us non-spring chickens over on the members side Sounds as if you already have some construction experience, which is helpful (but not required - many of us old dogs have learned a number of new tricks during this build!) If you're willing to take your time, you can do it. Just enjoy the process and don't expect it to be finished tomorrow.

welcome anisahoni. we too are building our retirement home. we're working on it bit by bit as we have money and time by the time we're ready to retire, we'll be finished.
    Sara's right. it won't be done over night and enjoying the process and the time we spend working together is important.

glad you're here. spend some time getting to know us ask questions

I'm one of the "youngin's" at age 45 in this group. There are several folks who are or have built, who are in their 70's. (Vern Street is a name that immediately comes to mind) But age, in regards to feasibility, is mostly irrelevant. What really matters is, how active you are. (especially important after the age of 60) The human body does not tolerate inactivity well. How many times have we heard of someone dying several months after retiring? Newton was right. A body in motion, tends to stay in motion! Building will keep you healthy, as long as you can managed to not get hurt. (which will make you inactive, which initiates the downward spiral) Work slow, methodical, and deliberate, and stay out of "pinch points" and you have little reason not to be successful.

Another aspect of the LHBA way, is this is more than a technique. It is also a community. Chances are good that there will be free help available from other members. I've helped on four builds, and really appreciate the experience gained while doing so. It's a win-win situation for both the property owner and the volunteers.
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 03-26-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    We are are 65 and 68, with some health issues on both sides but of a background that fosters hard work and do it you self. We are hiring by the hour help when we need an extra person but we have a wonderful old construction man that works cheap and hard and adds a lot of insider tips and experience. It hasn't been easy and it gets harder as the years go by. My thought is get it going asap so you get the heavy lifting done sooner than later, then you will know if you want to go forward with additional structures. Age itself has nothing to do with can or can't. That is in your head. I say get to the class and you will benefit from having gone either way you go. Your are in an area where there are a number of old and new builds not to far away.

Thanks allen84, We're definitely talking about signing up for it...

Thank you Mosseyme, This is helpful - we're both pretty fit at this point - I'm closing in on 61, my wife is 59. She's a middle school teacher and works a hell of a lot harder than I do...

Thank you Rod, this all makes good sense. It's really nice to know about the community and mutual support that's out there...

thank you Panderson - we tend to enjoy working on projects together, but we're a bit out of practice - we've lived in the city for the last 5 years and rented a house prior to that for about the same amount of time. The last time we were property owners working on building stuff for our own was about 12 years ago. We appreciate hearing about others doing this...