Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 cents per watt

LHBA Member

11 cents per watt

The going rate for solar panels is in the neighborhood of $1.00 per watt. I got an email about panels to go for 11 cents per watt, in case anyone is tempted.

There is a company selling Renesola 300 watt panels removed from a solar farm. So they are used and have (presumably) cosmetic blemishes. Testing of 100 or 200 panels has so far turned up no failures or problems.

There is something of a gamble, because there is no warranty -- just a take or leave it sort of thing. If I didn't already have two pallets (50 panels, 10+ KWatts), I'd probably be rolling the dice, but I tend to gamble like this. If someone is only comfortable with a sure thing, they should pass on this.

FWIW, I am not selling, and have no financial interest in the company or the deal. I'm just a fan of solar and great deals (which often requires some risk). The company is sunelec.com, the same company that sold me my 50, and the deal is not on their web site, last time I checked.

Peter
    Last edited by donjuedo; 02-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Soooo like 90% off!?!

LHBA Member
    About that, yes.

My existing panels are already expected to produce 60+ KWH per sunny day, and my average daily usage is only around 8. So I'd be better off adding to my battery bank, than adding to my panels. My brother and I are tempted to get some of these anyway. He charges an electric car and someday I might, too.
    Last edited by donjuedo; 03-01-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Are solar panels hard to install? Do you know if thry have inverters built in?

LHBA Member
    They're not hard to install. Mine (and most -- all?) just have an aluminum frame, like a simple picture frame. Specialized and expensive hardware is available, but there is no need to get fancy.

I am sure no inverter is included. Enphase has micro-inverters intended to use one panel. My brother has those and is connected to the grid. I dislike that approach, personally, because those inverters are expensive, and if the grid goes down, micro-inverters shut down, leaving available power unusable until the grid comes back up.

Outback Power has good inverters. My panels will be feeding Midnite Solar charge controllers to charge batteries, which will supply my Outback inverters. I focus pretty hard on cost / watt, to keep down overall cost while meeting my needs. I don't mind cheap inverters for small stuff, like I'd use on a camping trip. But for powering a home, I would steer away from Chinese or generics. On the whole, those have, ahem, "generous" ratings and a reputation for poor reliability.

I'm in. This will save me a bundle and I don't mind if a few don't work.

LHBA Member
    contact info sent

I'm interested as well.

LHBA Member
    I might as well post it for all. For what it's worth, a co-worker, my brother, and I decided to buy one pallet (now 22 panels). The co-worker will handle the order and buy 13 or so panels, and then my brother and I will later split the remaining panels.

Contact info:

John Kimball
    Owner and CEO
    SUN ELECTRONICS INT. INC
    CEL: 305-498-1863 / 305-710-9645
    https://www.sunelec.com/

The notice I received said the sale ends March 1 (today). You could order today, but if you call the owner, I bet he could flex on the date, too.

When I called, they had not received them in the warehouse, yet, but had done testing (on site, maybe?).

Good luck!

P.S. If you see this note late, it's a good idea to call because they have extended previous sales and are small enough to negotiate details like that.

I see they are hail damage removals. I'm a little leary as to why a power farm would remove them, if they are supposedly fine. Do they know that they probably have issues in a few years?
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box