Thread: Considering Washington State for build site

LHBA Member

Considering Washington State for build site

Any insights on costs to get started? Permits and fees is primarily what we are concerned about. We have been looking into Pierce and Thurston counties. We saw the cost for building permits, but being from California we are used to other fees being added on. Any help would be appreciated.

If you build "legally" it doesn't matter which county you are in. Since '97 all counties have had to use the same codes/etc.

I built in ferry County and they are a bit miffed at being forced to comply with the same codes as King County--they basically let me build no inspections.

That said you'll need an engineer to sign off on all structural aspects and as of last year no outhouse. Get perk done before you buy. Anyone who sets a tank needs to see a septic permit.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlacervilleLevi View Post
    Any insights on costs to get started? Permits and fees is primarily what we are concerned about. We have been looking into Pierce and Thurston counties. We saw the cost for building permits, but being from California we are used to other fees being added on. Any help would be appreciated.
    It depends if the land has not been built on before... If virgin, I believe there are about 10 permits. Address, DNR worksheet, permission from the Eagle Lady, septic permit, stuff for the electric and other that I have forgotten... I believe counties can be variable depending on the various personal. Some are just SOB's others are helpful as can be.

Log homes are in a special category because you have an engineer wet stamp on your plans... hence they allow lots of stuff as long as you have it on the plan... Every plan costs something. Thats the way the counties get money along with property tax. The counties always need more money... You can go to the various county web sites and get much more information.

My only note of caution is to stay away from Kings County. They act like they have enough homes and don't need any more...

Try to find a place with some kind of permitted structure even if it is a tear down. It will make your life easier. Also stay away from ponds or any place that has standing water.

good luck.. If rain is a factor in your decisions, you may want to look at the rain shadow. I live in the shadow and it only rains about 19 inches a year...
    Last edited by rocklock; 02-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!