Thread: Timing

Timing

We are close to buying land in North MN for hunting and camping. My ultimate goal down the road was to build a cabin. I've been looking at the logistics of this forever and found this site a few months ago and have been lurking ever since. I already have one mortgage and will need to get a loan for the recreational land. So, I don't need anymore debt.

ideally I'd like to phase in the building of a log home. My question is, how long can you let the logs sit outside unpeeled or peeled? When I got the logs up and I roof on, how long can they sit untreated? Like, can they sit 1 or two years and they'll be okay? Or do I need to get them up in one year?

Lastly, I know you can put in septic after the build. Can you put in water after?

This website has been very helpful, and I can't wait to take the class.

Blog Entries
    After going to class, this will all make so much sense. Really, you'll pop your forehead and just say "DUH".

There is some leeway for the logs on the ground, depending on species, time of year they were felled, climate etc. Ideally your ducks will be lined up so you can peel them and get them stacked on a foundation that firs year or two. If done correctly, a roof is all the treatment you will ever need. That said, most folks on this forum treat the logs with a borate solution and some also stain them.

take the class
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbbl View Post
    We are close to buying land in North MN for hunting and camping. My ultimate goal down the road was to build a cabin. So, I don't need anymore debt.
    ideally I'd like to phase in the building of a log home. My question is, how long can you let the logs sit outside unpeeled or peeled? When I got the logs up and I roof on, how long can they sit untreated? Like, can they sit 1 or two years and they'll be okay? Or do I need to get them up in one year?
    Lastly, I know you can put in septic after the build. Can you put in water after?
    My question is, how long can you let the logs sit outside unpeeled or peeled? The layer just under the bark is full of tree sugar which will attract every bug and fungus in the area... If the bark in removed and the logs stacked off the ground, they will last for years.

My roof is on and some of my logs have not been treated for about ten years...

Water can follow the septic but my county required a source of water before they would approve my permit. On the other hand, we used rain water to flush our toilet for several years.

Good luck... Do not get a construction loan. Take it slow and build when you can with what you have...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

hi the DARBBL. we're building in northern MN too; Ottertail County, to be more precise

we got our logs in March 2010 (winter cut). we pealed them that spring and summer and stacked the garage log walls that fall. the cabin log walls didn't get stacked til a year or 2 later.
    we stored the logs off the ground, borated the logs immediately after pealing, borated every year they sat while waiting to be stacked and did a final borate after getting them underroof.

we did have a little bit of rot on one of our logs, but that's OK since we bought a few extra!!

the beauty of this way of building is you can build as fast or slow as you want. our building season is May-November. we take winter season and mud season off to regain our strength and re-fill the coffers.

I agree with Rocklock, don't take out a construction loan. there's too many rules associated with them and that contributes to too much stress!

enjoy the journey

welcome to the forums

I agree with all of the above, but with one or two more suggestions. 1) Get the land with bigger trees (pine or straight poplar is OK), I'm big on land with your own building materials on it. 2) Don't take a construction loan. 3) Take the class.

As far as leaving logs cut, I would not leave them on the ground, I would rack em off the ground. Even then you have to be quick on pealing and ready to buil. But first, take the class. I know it is very redundant, but it's for your good. I used to hear that for 4 years before I could take the class. I'm very glad I did, and now I'm building my own house around 2100 sf.

Stay encouraged.
    Every time I stray from teachings and suggestions of LHN it has saved me time and money.

Don't suck face with no Banker who drives a nicer car than you do... LHN 3:21.7

Thanks for the tips. That makes this seem more manageable.