Well, the biggest difference between inverters is whether they are modified sinewave or full sinewave. Certain electronics handle full sinewave much better than modified, but full sinewave inverters tend to use more wattage to operate than modified sign wave inverters. (especially at or near idle use current) Good chance any of the sub- $1000 inverters your looking at are modified sinewave. Nothing wrong using them, as long as the equipment you plug into them is happy being fed MSW.

Use care on larger inverters powered by 12v. A 2000w 12v inverter will be drawing over 160 amps at full load. BIG cables are required. This is why larger inverters use higher input voltages. Doubling of voltage divides amperage by half. (a 24v 2000w inverter would be drawing a little over 80 amps, and a 48v inverter would be drawing a little over 40 amps)

Multiple, lower cost inverters might be better than a single big one, as if the big one fails, you lose all 120v power. But setting up a bunch of little ones can be a pain.

Some larger ones have the ability to interlink, increasing their power as a whole. Further, some of those bigger ones can even be set up to provide 120/240v split phase (common neutral) like a typical on grid home. This is the way I plan to set up my system in my home. 100% of production being utilized by a split phase inverter setup directly powering a standard circuit breaker panel. I have no intentions of using low voltage lighting/appliances.