Thread: Log home kits in Southern California ?

Log home kits in Southern California ?

Hello,

I'm new to log cabins and have no experienced in building in building a log home. I live in California and home prices is expensive and over priced. So I'm Considering buying a log hom kit. And assemble my self. I've seen log home kits 3-4 beds and 2-3 baths 3500 ft squared for under $30,000.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

LHBA Member
    Have you considered doing it the LHBA way?

LHBA Member
    Myloghome, my guess is log homes are new to you. When they were new to me, I began to notice quite a few distinct styles, and the ones in my neighborhood seemed to be lacking something. It took me awhile to realize what that was: the logs weren't really logs anymore. They were either timbers with a machined curved side on the exterior face, or worse (to me), just plank siding with a curved side. They only hinted at old timey log homes. The timber ones were kits.

Then I found this site, the Log Home Builders Assoc. The logs are truly logs, unmilled, and with all the irregularities pioneers had. These don't come in kits, though. If you are ready to build a kit, you might also be ready to build a real log home. Stick around and learn more. Look through the photo gallery, too. Kits have a lot of drawbacks in terms of durability and maintenance. This building style (LHBA) solves such problems.

Peter

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myloghome View Post
    I'm new to log cabins and have no experienced in building in building a log home. I live in California and home prices are expensive and over priced. So I'm Considering buying a log home kit. And assemble my self.
    Expensive and overpriced may be a result of regulations and bureaucracy. Hence building anything will be expensive. Log kits have a number of drawbacks that make the kit much more expensive... Google log home kit problems.... You will be amazed.

You seem to be the kind of person that will grab the bull by the horns and build it your self. Our way is a low skill building method. We do not notch logs (which requires some skill).

You can not build a kit using our way of assembly. Once the log is pinned it is almost impossible to disassemble.

I built a 31 by 31 log home with about 2550 sq-ft of livable space. I started at 63 with very little building experience... My sons and I have done everything except 220 volt hookups, the roof and septic.

I have several videos and about 300 pictures.

Good luck in California
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

LHBA Member
    Myloghome, Where in SoCal are you located? I'm in OC myself and would be up for meeting with you to discuss the pros and cons of the kits and why we chose to build our future home the LHBA way.

LHBA Member
    I think Myloghome is another one-and-done poster

I have lived in Bakersfield California. For the past 5 years I have lived in Kernville Ca.
    my log home

Here is my .02

I thought like your thinking. A kit. Marvelous idea! Until I took the class. My whole train of thought has changed. Might I suggest , take the class. Before you dive into anything, learn everything you can. This is a grand option. When you are done, you may or may not have the exact same idea but.. you will have a much better understand of what a kit vs butt and pass provides. Just a thought. In these pages, you will run into many like minded folks who , like you and I dream of this and now understand much more thoroughly what is involved !

Where in the world did you find a kit home at that price for the size mentioned?? Before I took the class a year ago, the only kit prices I can find for the size you've mentioned are well above $100k. Keep in mind, that is only the shell. I can honestly say that the LHBA method will be built quicker at a lower cost. Think about it, you are cutting out a lot of middlemen by sourcing the materials yourself.