Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: foundations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

foundations

OK, this may be dumb, but, I have been told that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.
    Why couldn't I put 6X6 posts in concrete on four to six foot centers for the foundation of a log dog trot cabin with 12 by 18 foot rooms on either end and a 12 by 18 dog trot?

Blog Entries
    Donnie,

You could. Of course I'm guessing at the engineering specs of doing so. We have our way of building our homes. With personal choices and alterations. Many of our members will use stem walls and such. Many, including myself will be building on our (engineered specs) piers.

Personally, I'm exactly sure what a "log dog trot cabin" is. But would love to come along on your build if you'd like to share your journey.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    Donnie,

Personally, I'm exactly sure what a "log dog trot cabin" is. But would love to come along on your build if you'd like to share your journey.

I had to google it myself. I've seen them, but didn't know there was a term for them. Its about like two separate structures, with a center breezeway, but one continuous roof over the structures and the breezeway.

I think they look really cool, they just have more lineal footage of exterior wall, than a single structure of the same square footage. Then a lot of roof, but someone building this way values that covered center section, and I think that would be really cool to see all your hunting gear, fishing gear, etc.

I'd definitely go square on the rooms to max out the sf on those. Go for it!
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    OK, this may be dumb, but, I have been told that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.
    Why couldn't I put 6X6 posts in concrete on four to six foot centers for the foundation of a log dog trot cabin with 12 by 18 foot rooms on either end and a 12 by 18 dog trot?
    You could do it with pier blocks and it would last forever... Do it 18x18 and you really got something.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

or sonotubes?
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    or sonotubes?
    WOW! hadn't thought of those! Thank you!

Here's a nice one!

DogTrotCabin.JPG
    Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/EAJWU
    More Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ca7qYAd

"In my Father's house are many rooms: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." --Jesus of Nazerath

LHBA Member
    I like the look of it. In a warm climate the center could be useful for picnics and such. I just imagine at some point I would get tired of going up or downstairs in order to cross to the other side in the middle of winter.

It's not bad though if you need to build like an "inlaws" quarter or something. Provides some separation without being a separate house.

Donnie, I used 10" pilings at 5.5' ft centers to support log cabin and 6x6 to support porches. Necessity due to river flooding every couple of years. We spend more time on the porches and underneath the cabin than anywhere else. The shade is appreciated most of the time in this Mississippi climate.

I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleman View Post
    Donnie, I used 10" pilings at 5.5' ft centers to support log cabin and 6x6 to support porches. Necessity due to river flooding every couple of years. We spend more time on the porches and underneath the cabin than anywhere else. The shade is appreciated most of the time in this Mississippi climate.

I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk