Thread: Anyone in Connecticut?

Anyone in Connecticut?

I am interested in building in Connecticut and was wondering if anyone has done so already or has started the process.

I was wondering about building codes that would restrict me from building a diy log home in Connecticut.
    Thanks!

LHBA Member
    There are some crazy people here, but not sure we are that crazy...

Just kidding. I'm not sure if anyone is or not.

LHBA Member
    cortiz, i am starting my build in wallkill ny this spring. Not CT but close. The boss's uncle built a kit home about 8 years ago and he said it was a b***h. He said the building dept. gave him troubles the entire build and didnt know about log homes. I am sure they have only gotten more stringent since then. ALTHOUGH, it always floats around here that somebody built in CA and they say if you can build in CA, you can build anywhere. It is just finding the right town with the right inspectors. I would look in eastern NY. depending on your commute if may be worth it. There are many-a-town here that were willing to work with the LHBA style. I didnt even need an engineer!! Just an architect (a WHOLE other story) to sign off on them that is licensed in the state which wasn't that hard to do and he didnt go off the cliff about how smart he is with his calculation mumbo jumbo like most engineers do (i can say that because Im an engineer..). Anyway good luck and you are more than welcome to stop by come spring. I would always use an extra log peeler

LHBA Member
    hemlock77 has built near Ashford, Connecticut. Search for his username and you should be able to find photos of his build - I don't remember whether he had problems with codes or not.

Get out while you still can!! We moved from CT to NC a few years ago and haven't looked back. Never looked into building up there, but with all the hoops we had to jump through just to live there I can't imagine it's fun or cheap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    ~Brigitte

attended class- 3/17/12
    received stock plans- 4/4/12
    closed on 5 acres in NC!- 5/12!!
    moved from CT to NC- 12/12
    popped out a baby- 5/2014
    well/septic permit- 5/2017

Current project- finding logs, getting plans approved, grading the log yard, scheduling start date