Thread: Chinking on verticle beam question

Chinking on verticle beam question

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying an existing log home. I was looking at the vertical logs where it meets the ceiling. I see chinking in the T intersection. Is this normal? I'm afraid they're covering up a gap. I have pictures of each end. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Will

They are definitely covering a gap with that chinking, I think the question is are they covering a problem? I believe that if this vertical support is stable you are OK. Did you try to shake the log to see if it was loose? If it is loose, maybe all you need to do is lift the log into place by adjusting at the lower end. Does the support log connect to anything else other than the two ends shown? If it does you may consider what effect that would have on that point. Typical kit log house problem with the need to adjust everything as the log shrink.
    Work Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by dvb View Post
    They are definitely covering a gap with that chinking, I think the question is are they covering a problem? I believe that if this vertical support is stable you are OK. Did you try to shake the log to see if it was loose? If it is loose, maybe all you need to do is lift the log into place by adjusting at the lower end. Does the support log connect to anything else other than the two ends shown? If it does you may consider what effect that would have on that point. Typical kit log house problem with the need to adjust everything as the log shrink.
    I didn't shake it. There are multiple beams with chinking. I can't remember if it was connected to anything else. I will need to go back again. Thank you.