Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a Landscape Timber Builder

Trying to find a Landscape Timber Builder

I am looking for a builder that can build from landscape timber and do not know where to start! I am in NC. Thanks!

You're looking to build a home out of landscape timbers?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Yes, we have a piece of property that has plenty, and also lots of quartz we would like to use in building as well. Pretty much, we want to build from the land, and need a little guidance.

LHBA Member
    Landscape timbers have been milled to shape and treated with preservative. You say your property has plenty of landscape timbers. Are you really sure about that?

Maybe you have property with plenty of trees, yet to be cut down and used.

Here's my experience with such confusion of terminology. I went to a Rehau presentation a few years ago. The engineers are German, so English is not their first language, though they spoke well. Several times during the presentation, they kept referring to timber frame homes in the US, and toward the end, it finally dawned on me they did not mean "timber frame" as we mean it here. That has large timbers of wood forming a structural skeleton of the home, with other wall materials filling for insulation, etc. What the Germans meant by "timber frame" is what we call "stick frame" -- two by fours, typically, with sheetrock on the interior and plywood/OSB on the exterior, protected by siding or brick or something.

So you might be talking about trees, or you might be in the very unusual situation of getting land with a large stockpile of treated landscaping timbers normally used around gardens or sidewalks

:-)

Peter

I meant trees! I googled a million things to come up with that terminology, but alas, I was still wrong lol. We do not want those preservatives, definitely not what I meant. Thanks for setting me straight! What would you call it then to mill and build off the land? I have googled so many word combinations and have nit come up with anything.

LHBA Member
    The technique used by forum members here involves no milling. The trees are cut down ("felled"), and the bark is peeled off. A borate preservative is applied and the logs are stacked as nature made them, cut to length, of course. The gallery photos show the results in detail, so you can get an idea of how rustic this is.

Peter

LHBA Member
    I think you made a turn in the right direction when you found this website. You would have been sorely disappointed if you found a builder to build you a landscape timber home Stick around and check out what LHBA is all about.

You have a found a great site will a lot of great people.
    Jason - LHBA Class of May/2015

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall ~Confucius~

Awesome! That sounds more in tune with what we want to do. How do I find someone to help on site?

Blog Entries
    Why don't you build that log home yourself?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.