Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to find a Landscape Timber Builder

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Where are you in NC? We have a member right now that is building a beautiful home in Michigan with logs that are not all that big around. You might be surprised. If they are big enough to use squared up then they are bigger round and more thermal mass. We are currently building in WNC.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    If they are big enough to use squared up then they are bigger round and more thermal mass.
    Not to mention the time and money it takes to make a square that started out as a circle.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Not to mention the time and money it takes to make a square that started out as a circle.
    I think 'Nut just starts pounding it into a square hole...

I am south of Charlotte. The property is actually across the border in SC though. So if I go the "round log" way, where could I find local help/builders?

LHBA Member
    Friends, family, sometimes other members of LHBA will show up to help. There is at least one member who travels and builds. You could contract out different parts of the build and show them what needs to be done. If you take the class you will come away with all the knowledge you need. You will also be able to get full construction plans. And as has already been said, it doesn't take any special talents or fancy tools.... Just hard work and the desire to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Justagirlkatie View Post
    I am looking for a builder that can build from landscape timber and do not know where to start! I am in NC. Thanks!
    Where at in NC?

I'm in MI. Im building with smaller logs they are everage 9.8 inches thick, 12" bottoms and 7" tops. The question is: would I split it in half to conserve the wood? The answer is: NEVER. It would not qualify as a log home. At that point u could call it log siding, and defeats the purpose of "Loghome" altogether.

Timber framing is a different story. If you gonna do it, that's awesome. It does take more skill than a loghome. Whatever appeals to your heart is what you should do. I, personally, would like to see you taking the class. We could always use another member.
    Every time I stray from teachings and suggestions of LHN it has saved me time and money.

Don't suck face with no Banker who drives a nicer car than you do... LHN 3:21.7

We're looking to do the same thing. We're in escrow to buy 7.5 acres in Northern California with hundreds of pine trees on the property. It's raw land that has never been developed and the trees look like they'd be plenty large enough.