Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drywall Alternatives

Blog Entries
    Calm down a bit, Rod, before you have a apoplexy. It's just a cute little innocent chunk of drywall.

If it was gutters, I could get into the whole love/hate rant.... nope, just gypsum.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Thought I covered that pretty well above. :-) It's in the "toolbox" because it's the cheapest option, much like cinder block, asphalt roofing, vinyl flooring & siding, etc. But cost alone shouldn't be reason to choose a product. I'm looking to build the best home I can. By using the LHBA method to get my superior superstructure up in a very cost effective way, it leaves me with savings to use better materials elsewhere. If one's goal is to build the cheapest house possible, then the path is clear. I for one think drywall in a "century home" is about as appropriate as a mobile home in tornado alley.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    Cost alone shouldn't be the only factor but it is always a factor. For those of us that do not want to see wood everywhere in the house we are building, then drywall is an inexpensive option that allows one to do this.

LHBA Member
    One alternative is beadboard on the lower half wall. You can buy it in sheets and paint it. It can go over unfinished sheetrock, plywood, or OSB, and the paint can solve the wood on wood on wood problem. I like the look, too.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    One alternative is beadboard on the lower half wall. You can buy it in sheets and paint it. It can go over unfinished sheetrock, plywood, or OSB, and the paint can solve the wood on wood on wood problem. I like the look, too.

Peter
    Not for everyone, but I too like the look of whitewashed wainscoting. I have a little planned for my one bathroom.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoying the journey.....

I cut siding from ash and oak which I used as board and batten and overlapped. I love it! Not quick but very good fit. It helps to have a woodmizer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoying the journey.....

Looks beautiful smithme2! I guess I didn't come back and thank everyone for the great ideas. Getting close to 1 month away from class, we are so excited!

Blog Entries
    As a former drywall contractor I believe my other "friends" in LHBA have been trying to purposely draw me into this conversation...

Drywall is a great building product. You have to get the right stuff, for the job you want. There are way more options to drywall today than what was available even a few years ago. It's Not all just paper & dirt (gypsum) anymore. You can also texture it or coat it with certain muds to make it Very Hard!

There's High Strength, Fiberglass, Sound Deadening, Blah, blah, blah... Go to a contractors supply store that specializes in Drywall and you won't believe what they make today.. One of the Best things I think the industry did was come up with the fiberglass tile backer board instead of the "Green" water resistant board that some people still use today in their baths, showers etc. There is no gypsum or paper in the product, not a chance of mold ever growing in it, or soaking up water. But, on the other hand... I made a lot of money repairing those baths with the green board over the years..

Installation is not rocket science, but finishing it, is a trade, all it's own.

It's a option. It does contrast the wood & can add the possibilities of reflecting light, adding color, accents.

Don't like it.... Cover it later

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Featherstone View Post
    As a former drywall contractor I believe my other "friends" in LHBA have been trying to purposely draw me into this conversation...

Drywall is a great building product. You have to get the right stuff, for the job you want. There are way more options to drywall today than what was available even a few years ago. It's Not all just paper & dirt (gypsum) anymore. You can also texture it or coat it with certain muds to make it Very Hard!

There's High Strength, Fiberglass, Sound Deadening, Blah, blah, blah... Go to a contractors supply store that specializes in Drywall and you won't believe what they make today.. One of the Best things I think the industry did was come up with the fiberglass tile backer board instead of the "Green" water resistant board that some people still use today in their baths, showers etc. There is no gypsum or paper in the product, not a chance of mold ever growing in it, or soaking up water. But, on the other hand... I made a lot of money repairing those baths with the green board over the years..

Installation is not rocket science, but finishing it, is a trade, all it's own.

It's a option. It does contrast the wood & can add the possibilities of reflecting light, adding color, accents.

Don't like it.... Cover it later
    Took you long enough to chime in, Tom.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.