Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drywall Alternatives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drywall Alternatives

Disclaimer: we haven't taken the class yet so I'm sure we'll hear more details in class and on the member's side but I am so excited and curious I just have to ask now!

Husband and I are looking at alternatives to drywall. Husband isn't crazy about drywall, about having to keep it dent-free with 5 little kids (a.k.a. constant repairs) and also the installation. Has anyone used any alternatives? Looking online brought up some cool looking results--"pallet walls" which are super cheap which is a plus and also a lot sturdier, not sure the kids could easily destroy it. I also thought "cob walls" looked cool, they're basically sculpted walls so you can add little artistic touches and nooks. But maybe more labor intensive and I'm not sure how good it would look with a couple of amateurs taking a stab at it. haha.

There are other options I'm sure. My thought is some alternative that has more of a rustic feel would just look better alongside the logs.

Also, I'm talking about our 25x25 "cabin" which we'll build first and live in while we build the "dream home." Eventually it could be a guest home or rental, so folks other than just family would have to want to live there.

Rough sawn lumber, live edge boards, t&g, leather, skulls of your enemies, etc.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Rough sawn lumber, live edge boards, t&g, leather, skulls of your enemies, etc.

+1 for the skulls. Seriously 1×6 tng

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Tounge and groove takes on a new meaning when decorating with skull, fyi
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Tounge and groove takes on a new meaning when decorating with skull, fyi
    Hahaha! Yes that would definitely be rustic!!

Rod and Dan, so good to know others feel the same way! I wasn't too sure about wood everywhere either. Thanks for the tips about blue board, will look into that. Husband would be grateful to not have to paint as well!!

I *HATE* drywall. However, I also can't stand EVERYTHING being wood. (hear that kithome makers?) My current plan is probably Blueboard and plaster. Though, I'm considering, if I find it cheap enough, Wonderboard and do some sort of stucco finish. Both options can be colored at application, which means no painting, which means it makes me happy, as I like painting about as much as drywall.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    I *HATE* drywall. However, I also can't stand EVERYTHING being wood. (hear that kithome makers?) My current plan is probably Blueboard and plaster. Though, I'm considering, if I find it cheap enough, Wonderboard and do some sort of stucco finish. Both options can be colored at application, which means no painting, which means it makes me happy, as I like painting about as much as drywall.
    My thoughts as well. Drywall is terrible. Cheap, light, weak stuff. Plaster is similar enough in the construction, but avoids those issues.

Dan

LHBA Member
    I like the 4x8 panels that looks like weathered barn wood (probably used for sheds mostly). And another idea from someone that hates working with sheet rock... Use sheetrock and put on wood trim to give it a board and batten look, no mud required.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I like the 4x8 panels that looks like weathered barn wood (probably used for sheds mostly). And another idea from someone that hates working with sheet rock... Use sheetrock and put on wood trim to give it a board and batten look, no mud required.
    Or a fella/gal could do board and batten.

Personally I think sheetrock is fine. If you pay someone else to do it right, it goes on quick, and pretty, and I think it is fairly forgiving in the long run. The Boss hates it, but on our recent trip to SmileyKyley's place, she took a liking to the idea of almost thinking about not resisting the idea of perhaps considering one or two small walls in our place... maybe.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Or a fella/gal could do board and batten.

Personally I think sheetrock is fine. If you pay someone else to do it right, it goes on quick, and pretty, and I think it is fairly forgiving in the long run. The Boss hates it, but on our recent trip to SmileyKyley's place, she took a liking to the idea of almost thinking about not resisting the idea of perhaps considering one or two small walls in our place... maybe.
    The only things that can hurt sheetrock is water and wallpaper.