Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LOGISTICS: How to transition from city, to building log home?

Question LOGISTICS: How to transition from city, to building log home?

I guess the biggest issue is that the area we'd like to build our log home is 5+ hours flight away from where we live now and we are going to be doing this on a tight budget –*so I'm imagining that we will have to move out of our apartment (to save on rent), leave our jobs as we can't take so much time off, and move onto our empty lot living in a tent during construction.

I'm trying to figure out how we will make the transition with minimal flights, minimal renting etc. Has anyone done this on a budget, and how did you go about it? Or how would you go about it if you were in this situation?

Thanks

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlower View Post
    I guess the biggest issue is that the area we'd like to build our log home is 5+ hours flight away from where we live now and we are going to be doing this on a tight budget –*so I'm imagining that we will have to move out of our apartment (to save on rent), leave our jobs as we can't take so much time off, and move onto our empty lot living in a tent during construction.

I'm trying to figure out how we will make the transition with minimal flights, minimal renting etc. Has anyone done this on a budget, and how did you go about it? Or how would you go about it if you were in this situation?

Thanks
    Well first off welcome to the forum. Take a walk down memory lane and read through the numerous previous posts. I can't speak for everyone but a lot of the members have done what you plan on doing. It's not easy but plenty have accomplished it and more will in the future. That being said living on your property during construction seems to be the popular way to go. Some do commute and I believe there are members who fly halfway around the world to work on their homes. Some buy old mobile homes and park them on the property, fix them up and live there during the build. It ultimately comes down to you, if you plan on building fairly quickly then maybe a tent will work, if not you might want to find a more appropriate long term structure during construction. I haven't attended the class yet, going in September, but many members who have done this for years will tell you. Take the class! It seems to be the way to go and before you go quitting jobs and moving it makes sense. I can only offer so much advice since I haven't started my journey yet but you will find a ton of information in these forums just grab some coffee and start reading!

@3degreenerd We will definitely take the class! I'm just trying to get a good idea of how realistic it will be for us to do this.

We'd like to get the basic 1 bed, 1 bath structure built with the roof and everything in a 2-3 month period. We'd probably start in late Spring, I guess, to ensure the weather is tolerable and that we have enough time to get set up before Winter.

Regular+ User
    @3degreenerd We will definitely take the class! I'm just trying to get a good idea of how realistic it will be for us to do this.

We'd like to get the basic 1 bed, 1 bath structure built with the roof and everything in a 2-3 month period. We'd probably start in late Spring, I guess, to ensure the weather is tolerable and that we have enough time to get set up before Winter.
    Completely understandable. Sounds like you have the drive and desire to make it happen so it will come together. Make sure you have a place to live on property first and then you can build as finances allow which is my plan. The goal is to be debt free by the end of my project!

No doubt living on site is the best option, for both cost and time reasons. Cheap trailers are plentiful, but take some work to make true 4 seasons if in a colder climate. It's what I'm doing, full off grid. Cost of living is dirt cheap, as my only recurring bills are cell phone and internet. Being able to work right up until you're ready to quit for the day, and you don't have to worry about a drive home, is a big thing.

If you are worried that you can't find jobs locally while building your place, then it would indicate to me that the property is not a good primary home location. I can find tons of beautiful, cheap property, but they are usually hours away from anything. (including reliable internet for a home based business)

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

@rreidnauer Yes, Internet's a tricky one. We do need to be able to access it at least a few times a week.

As for work, we're hoping to save up enough so that we don't have to work during that time period of building, but it would be good to be able to work once we've moved into the home.

@3degreenerd Yes, being debt free is a big one!

As for work, we're hoping to save up enough so that we don't have to work during that time period of building, but it would be good to be able to work once we've moved into the home.
    That's what I mean. If you can't find work while building, what's to say you can once your place is complete? As I like to say, I can afford to buy it, I just can't afford to keep it.

All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    That's what I mean. If you can't find work while building, what's to say you can once your place is complete? As I like to say, I can afford to buy it, I just can't afford to keep it.

Right, yes. All things we will have to take into consideration when finding land.

LHBA Member
    Getting some Internet access is often not that hard. Getting high speed Internet access is sometimes a lot harder.

The land I bought is very rural, in West Virginia. While I have not yet explored high speed options, I did buy a "Mi-Fi" and monthly service. It's a small device, much like a cell phone, including having its own cell phone number. Unlike a cell phone, it has no speaker or mic, because the purpose is to connect to AT&T cell service and provide me Internet access by Wi-Fi. It's all about the Internet connection, not voice or apps.

My plan only offers 5 GB per month, so I will not be using this option to stream Netflix movies or anything like that. But email is easy, or loading normal web pages, etc. It will more than meet my needs during construction. Along the way, I will be looking around for high speed options.

Peter

"Huges net" offers hi speed satellite internet.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner