Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic week?

LHBA Member

Realistic week?

I might be able to gather half a dozen workers for a solid week of construction, including myself. More could help, but I know there are diminishing returns on head count. Starting on completed piers, how much should I expect to get done in 7 days, weather permitting?

This assumes all tools on site, including a crane or telehandler, and also assumes good, careful planning. This log home will be one story -- can all log stacking be done in a week? The roof deck will be 12" SIP's 8 feet by 24 feet (really!), so I expect those to be quicker than built-up, though I have no experience. The finish roof will be standing seam metal roofing, like LHN, if I recall correctly. Could all the roofing fit in a week, too, realistically?

Things I am not tempted to press for would include windows and doors, or gables, or floors. Or even gutters. ;-)

Peter

Can it be done? Yes, I do it all the time. Myself and 3 others just put a 40x40 under roof in 7 days. Though we didn't put the metal on the roof. Is it realistic for someone doing it for the first time? No. A good week and you should be able to get your walls up, based on what I've seen others do on their first go round.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    I knew you'd come through for me! Your experience makes all the difference for you, but your adjustment for a first-timer like me helps immensely. Thanks, Ronnie.

In full disclosure, my first home took me a couple of months to get under roof, metal, and floors installed. About half of that time was spent trying to figure out what I was doing.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com

Just for S & Giggles, care to make a rough estimate on how long it should take one moderately able bodied man, plus two "can hand you a tool but that's it" helpers*, to fell, peel, stack (no piers, just a cedar skid for foundation), chink, roof, and floor TWO small uninsulated cabins, 12ftx12ft 7ft tall walls with simple gable roof with 6ft overhangs all sides? Wall logs will probably average 8in dia.

Equipment available:
    60cc Saw w/24inch bar
    ratchet winch
    Chainsaw winch (if we're lucky)
    A homebrewed zip line for moving the logs (3/8 steel cable) as the site averages a 45deg slope.
    Chop saw
    Demo hammer
    Hole Hawg
    4 KW genie

I have my own idea already, but I'd like to hear a pro's estimate.
    I've run a saw before (summer in college as a ground man for a tree service, as well as later in life clearing an acre of 12-18 inch alders for firewood), done some framing work at the amateur level, plus all the odd-job carpentry tasks you end up doing when you're in the military around your company area. I'm far from being a pro or expert, but not a complete novice. I'm also inc-readably bullheaded

* They may be able to peel logs.

Blog Entries
    Now we got two different people wanting time and labor estimates on the same week or two in two different parts of the Country. All I know is that there was a time when I coulda outsweated any of you and I woulda still been behind in the schedule.

That's it... I have no idea how long it'll take any of the rest of you to do anything at all. I am busy, slowly plugging away at the old LHN estate, and can't be there to slow either of you down. Wish I could.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Low key, there are to many variables to make an educated guess, how far from the build site are the logs? Are the logs up hill or down? What species? Some species peel themselves, others takes an act of Congress.
    A few thoughts though, your chainsaw is way to big. If your building a 12x12 I would cut logs any bigger than 2 people could reasonably pick up and carry / put on the wall. So max would 8-10". A saw that big will flat wear you out, and will use 2-3 times the fuel of a smaller saw in the process doing the exact same work. Efficiency is key when wanting to build quickly
    www.WileyLogHomes.com

LHBA Member
    I understand how it is, 'Nut. But all things considered, this might be next Spring, so you might be done by then. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    I understand how it is, 'Nut. But all things considered, this might be next Spring, so you might be done by then. ;-)
    You found that keg of brandy again, didn't you.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Low key, there are to many variables to make an educated guess, how far from the build site are the logs? Are the logs up hill or down? What species? Some species peel themselves, others takes an act of Congress.
    A few thoughts though, your chainsaw is way to big. If your building a 12x12 I would cut logs any bigger than 2 people could reasonably pick up and carry / put on the wall. So max would 8-10". A saw that big will flat wear you out, and will use 2-3 times the fuel of a smaller saw in the process doing the exact same work. Efficiency is key when wanting to build quickly
    How close are the logs? On the property, so within 350ft or so, and I'll be taking them from uphill of the builds.
    Species are a mix of Hemlock and Sitka Spruce (and will obviously be summer cut), with the exception of 4 WRC logs for the skids. I think I mentioned they'll be in that size range, and I'll be rigging a zip line for them so I can let gravity move them from point A to point B on the site.

On the saw size....yup, it's bigger than needed for this, but I sized it based on the permanent home build I'll start next year, and that's going to be <hopefully> using logs averaging 20 inches, so the 24 inch bar isn't out of line. If the budget allowed this year I'd either pick up a smaller saw as well or a smaller bar.