Howdy!

I suppose I'm anxious. My conference is this weekend, but I'm already antsy to get some answers. And, I'm quite certain (based on the answers I've seen in forums), I know the answer to my question will be "it depends." But, I'm going to ask anyway, in hopes I'll get a little more info that I currently have.

What I want to know is how far into the log-home building process before my family and I can "move in." Say the whole thing takes 3 years to build (I'm hoping that's not an optimistic estimate). Could we move in an unfinished log cabin at 1 year? 2 years? Six months? Two weeks? I don't mind being surrounded by unfinished walls, plywood (or concrete) floors, no toilet but an temporary porta-poty. We just need a roof over our heads, a bit of heat during the winter, and hopefully a working kitchen to do the necessities.

The reason I ask is we're moving from OK to NJ in a few weeks. We're in the process of house-hunting and are having a terrible time finding something we like. I figure why not live mortgage free in a trailer on land we pay cash for until this thing is built? But, I'm quite sure, if we (4 small kids, 2 dogs, and 2 adults) live in a trailer for 3 years, my wife would divorce me

Any thoughts are appreciated.