Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a log home in South Florida??

Question Building a log home in South Florida??

Hi i live in south Florida iv been looking in to this site forum and all for about a year now never posted because i had a lot of research to do before making a final decision hubby still doesn't know for sure if this is what he wants us to do but it take much to convince him if i find out about what it would be like to build, live in and possible sell, a log home down here in humid/muggy warm/hot sunny south Florida. so my brother in-law who is a private contractor builds conventional home remodels that sort of thing. he thinks that due to climate we will have a major risk of termites, rot and fire. now i had read a lot on the matter of fire the logs are too dense to truly burn and large over hangs and sealants prevent rot and stuff like that but it is extremely humid here..how would it be freezable to build a log home down here...in south florid 5 min from the beach? is there anything extra i would need to do? like use only kiln dried logs or something like that?

LHBA Member
    Hi Rose - it could be done with some special considerations:

1. termites - we usually build with the first wood being at least 18 inches from dirt. Termites don't like to tunnel up that far, and they are easy to see if they are.
    2. Rot - I would build with the most rot resistant logs I could find in your area. We build with large overhangs, as I'm sure you've seen. But with all of the Florida storms and rain driven in sideways, I would absolutely do a full wrap-around porch to fully protect those lowest logs.
    3. Fire - just plumb in a fire suppression system within the chinking and you should be fine.

Seriously, I'm not sure about the fire risk. I think if a fire starts in a kitchen or garage, and gets out of hand, things will burn.

Welcome to the forum.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

ok but could i use green or unseasoned logs or would i need to use kiln dried logs?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseWitch View Post
    ok but could i use green or unseasoned logs or would i need to use kiln dried logs?
    No need to use kiln dried logs at all with the LHBA method of building. Or seasoned logs at all, for that matter.

Dan

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseWitch View Post
    You could stack green logs the same day they are cut if you could work that fast.

the only reason i'm concerned is the water content and the humidity in Florida wouldn't that the effect being able to use them green i mean the climate of Florida would that effect how the ability for logs to completely dry out?
    Next Question i know its not hard to heat a log home if its designed right, but how hard is it to keep a log home cool?
    ...we think our winters are freezing cold but let's be honest that's just a Floridian's opinion and it still only lasts maybe 2 weeks we don't have your normal 4 seasons we have Spring, Summer, Hurricane-Season, and Cold week so at least 10 moths out of the year its iether hot, hot and muggy, or hot and stormy.

Only build with cypress down that far.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    What I remember about living in Florida... I'm pretty sure it was sunny almost everyday and it also rained almost everyday. Something about all that water and which way the wind blows.

yeah i figured cypress would be my choice is the most rot resistant but how easy or how hard is it to keep a log home cool in a hot climat like this one?y

I'm assuming you will be installing AC. I don't think there's any reason to think there will any trouble maintaining comfortable temperatures. Everyone who's built and reported back, says it's been easy to heat/cool. The LHBA method lends itself well to natural self regulation, with large roof overhangs providing shade, cathedral ceilings moving the warmest air away from the living space, and generally open floor plans to aid in air circulation.

If you are crazy enough to not be installing AC, do some research on old Caribbean plantation mansions. They were constructed in such a manner to promote comfort in otherwise stifling conditions.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box