Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online/Video course option?

Online/Video course option?

Hi guys,

First post! Yay!

I've been looking into options to build a small guest cottage by my home in Finland. I came across this site while looking into log building techniques and the methods here with the butt and pass intrigued me. I am interested in looking into taking the 2 day class on log building, but obviously flying to LV from Finland, just for the class is madness.

Is there some sort of remote option for people outside of America to participate in the course, or is there practical aspects of the class that just can't be done online?

Quote Originally Posted by Colm View Post
    Hi guys,

First post! Yay!

I've been looking into options to build a small guest cottage by my home in Finland. I came across this site while looking into log building techniques and the methods here with the butt and pass intrigued me. I am interested in looking into taking the 2 day class on log building, but obviously flying to LV from Finland, just for the class is madness.

Is there some sort of remote option for people outside of America to participate in the course, or is there practical aspects of the class that just can't be done online?
    You have only one choice: Scandinavian Cope.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    I disagree. It is not madness. Tourism is thriving here in USA.

Take the class, rent a car, come stay at my place while you check out a beautifully warm and scenic part of the world. You will always be welcome here and you can start off your journey sleeping in a LHBA log home.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    I met a young couple on their honeymoon in while I was in Vegas for LHBA. They were from Scotland. That's over there in the "lands". Make the trip... But please visit Loghousenut or ANYTHING other than Vegas if you come to the United States, or you might leave with a bad impression.

LHBA Member
    Oh man, if I had the chance to visit the nut, I would jump all over it.
    Took the course in Vegas, loved the course..hated Vegas..
    Take the course, if you can.
    Best investment you will make...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabuild View Post
    Oh man, if I had the chance to visit the nut, I would jump all over it.
    Took the course in Vegas, loved the course..hated Vegas..
    Take the course, if you can.
    Best investment you will make...
    The Nut has been patiently awaiting your jump. You are welcome anytime.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Nice one guys! Well, it'll be a few years before I can do that, but I'll certainly keep it in mind! But I think in the meantime, I'm going to have to research the butt and pass in detail, I really like the minimal settling concept of it and the fact you can use green logs - plenty of those around here. Been thinking about making a small guest house in the back garden (electricity on a generator being the only mod con), but unlike the ready built ones here, I want it to have some good insulating properties so that it can be used during our winters (-40 Celsius is a fun outdoor temperature) and one-room log built, with a central fireplace seems like a nice option!

The ready-built are stick frame - what they call aitas here - primarily for summer months. Not really idea winter living conditions. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Colm View Post
    Hi guys,

First post! Yay!

Hey, I flew all the way from Kuwait to Vegas for the class.
    What's worse is I had to fly back to Kuwait afterwards......you have no idea how loathsome that concept really is!

Save up and take the class. If you check online well in advance you can get very good deals on plane tickets. Mine was right around 900USD, round trip (KLM most of the way).

My suggestion? Fly into Vegas, take the class, then rent a car and drive up to Oregon by this route:

US95 North, cut across on Hwy 190 to US395 North, then onto Hwy89 (just south of Topaz Lake) heading north through the town of Truckee. Stay on Hwy 89 after Truckee until Hwy89 merges with I-5 North. Call LogHouseNut (collect) for directions from Grants Pass onward.
    You'll see some BEAUTIFUL scenery.

Next time you visit the US you can visit my place via a float plane!

now that the course is in Vegas so there's no real opportunity to see, touch a real LHBA log home anyway I wondered if Steve and Mr. E might ever consider offering the course via interactive video?
    just a thought remote attendees would miss out on Skips famous cookies of course, but that cannot be helped!

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    ......you have no idea how loathsome that concept really is!

Call LogHouseNut (collect) for directions from Grants Pass onward.
    I know about 0.2% how that must be, just from work sending me away from home for a week at a time, and I hate it. Actually, a better comparison would be one time, in the middle of winter, flying down to Florida, grab a taxi to uhaul, load truck, and head back to Pennsylvania winter. Total time in FL, just 5 hours.

As for that second comment, you fit in here so well.

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box