Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beat place to build on your land?

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I would build a place so the setting sun would warm the western wall. My front door would be facing south, I would have a walk out basement and out of any flooding zone... I would want to see the pond or stream. If you are in a cold area, I would not build on the highest point, but near.

So, the sun, wind and facing south to take advantage of solar are to me the most important factors. A walk out basement with an icf will be a great advantage...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

What is an "icf"? Seems to be associated with basements.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Insulated Concrete forms. Really just huge Lego's layered to form the frame for the concrete that is poured into the empty middle. Ours is 10" of concrete with 2 1/2" of foam insulation on each side.

Regular User
    Is there a good place to get estimates on the ICFs? The Big Orange Store can get them, but they seem pretty spendy. Understanding the Foundation and the Roof will be some of the biggest expenses, we would like to control the cost as best we can.

Thanks, Be Safe,

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    They do seem pricey but were well worth it to us. There are several brands that probably all work well. We went with Nudura brand for several reasons. We like some of the features that are different than others and we had a local dealer that was very helpful without charging extra for is advice and services. Also the price was as good or better than the others and simplicity and DIY friendly process sold us.

Thank you. We are hoping to build with a basement.

Blog Entries
    Wherever you build, think about first impressions. I like the main entrance door to be the obvious part of the house when a stranger first arrives. The new UPS man/woman should not have to make a lap around the place looking for a doorbell.

The house I lived in when I was 6-7 years old had a beautiful big front porch right at the livingroom door and the steps led to the back fence about a foot away. The long driveway led to a path that went straight to the mudroom/bathroom and through the fruit room to the back of the kitchen.

Looking back, I suppose it mighta been built by a immigrant from West Virginia. We had a lot of them move here after the War.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.