Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat place to build on your land?

Beat place to build on your land?

Finally getting ready to build my own cabin retreat on my land. I have hills, valleys and woods as well as a pond and creek. The creek is down in the lowest part of the woods and the pond is by the highest part of the land. Where is the best place to put my retreat? ??? Please give pros and cons for all. ..Thanks

LHBA Member
    Upwind of any dumps and sewage treatment plants.

Outside of that, it depends on access, topo, utilities, etc. Too many things to factor, location of creek and pond would be pretty low on my list of decision making criteria to be honest. Unless either are prone to flood or in a flood plain.

Hate them beat places, but sometimes they are the best places.

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Additionally, sun exposure, harsh winter protection-winds etc., ease of access, cost are all variables that are important to consider. Ambince of a nice creek (without fear of flood) can be great. Cool you're at this point. Enjoy.

LHBA Member
    DanDan, are you planning to be off-grid?

Peter

One thing I did before we even purchased our property was to use Google earth to "walk" the property. Even though it doesn't show trees it might give you a few ideas of what you want your views to be like off of your front porch.

LHBA Member
    For me... this is the most difficult decision. Where bouts are you located? Sounds like my land is similar to yours but all my water is at the bottom of the hill for now. Most of my top choices for location are about halfway up my hill. Part of this is due to existing trails and some fairly flat spots but also the views. A couple of my favorite spots are halfway up the hill and near running water (when it's wet).... I figure I might be able to keep it wet close to year round with properly placed ponds.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    The first time we walked our land I picked a spot by the creek where the most waterfalls were in the shortest distance. There were some 100 mile views from the ridge tops and lots of shorter views and knolls and valleys. 13 years later when we started excavating we were within 2 feet of that original string I put up all though replaced with newer string. I could never talk myself away from the creek though I did have dreams of building a small art studio on the ridge with the long views.

LHBA Member
    Can you hear the running water from your bedroom? My wife has recently started using a noisemaker that sounds like running water in our room for the new baby. I no longer take a 3am pee break. Now I wake up scared a pipe broke. I've heard if you can see or hear a body of water from your house you'll live longer.... And apparently sleep less.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely, although in the ICF basement you can't hear it at all even with two big openings. We put two dormers in the upstairs just to be able to hear the music of the creek from up there. The ions produced by falling water are the feel good ones. It is said that is the reason you get that feeling of peace and relaxation you get from standing by a waterfall or sitting on the beach. A sister in law from Ukraine when I said it feels and sounds like a concert hall in the cabin,with all the openings and overhangs She says but how to turn of concert.