Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Tools

Blog Entries
    Yes, but not many are as concrete friendly. You don't need them for poring outbuilding floor slabs or pole barn poles. Well, if you are building a floor slab for the Miata, maybe you'll need it after all.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Not sure how much storage space you have, but here goes:

Ladders - if you take your time, you can find some at really good prices...people are moving and don't want to move the ladder. I have two 32 footers, paid 80 for one of them. One of them is almost always split into the two 16ft sections. then I have a 21ft little giant and a couple 6 foot step ladders.

Scaffolding and ladder jacks and a walk board.

telehandler - it would be pretty silly to buy a tele before you've taken the class, but it is kinda fun to start searching CL for them. Save a search for it in 5 or 6 surrounding communities...it'll give you a really good idea of what is out there when and if the time comes you want to buy one. I'm probably selling mine at the end of this building season, so I've been watching what things are going for.

Power tools - circ saw, sawzall, angle grinder, planner, 15+ gallon compressor, framing nailer, electric chainsaw, cordless drill and impact driver (just beware the batteries may not be good anymore).

Extension cords - 10 or 12 gauge. 50 foot long. I bought a 100ft cord on sale, bought a male and female plug, and cut it into a 40 foot and a 60 foot.

Tape measures, speed square, chalk line, more ratchet straps, tool belt.

Good luck in class, I hope you pass the test.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

Regular+ User
    I know Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest place to get some tools at, but any words of advice for what to buy and not buy at HF? Sometimes you can get name brand tools on sale but a lot of the larger tools are expensive unless you find a good used one. So I guess ultimately what I'm asking is what to look for when buying used tools, and what not to buy at Harbor Freight?

Blog Entries

Let the scuffle begin.

Smarter folks than I would say that HF tools are undependable junk. I, on the other hand, have 6 acres of yardsale tools and it seems to me that there are a few of those HF tools that fit right in with my style of log home construction.

There used to be a great little HF demo hammer that drove rebar easier than a sledge hammer. The one I have is discontinued now and there is not total agreement on which model replaces it perfectly. More info in class.

I have several of the small angle grinders that I use frequently. More than once I have had to toss one toward the creek to stop the smoke, but I have never felt cheated and I always have a replacement on hand. I like the cuttoff wheels, grinder discs, and flapper discs for this tool that HF sells.

The Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill is the best! I have the cheap HF imitation and it has served me famously.

I have never had a failure out of a HF impact socket. Dirt cheap.

Most of the HF end wrenches seem to have a good feel to them and you will need them to fix all those yardsale tools.

I don't like HF screwdrivers.

Keep an eye out for those 20% coupons. They are usually paired with a free tool coupon. I have so many 25' tape measures around here that I don't have to carry one on my belt. It gives you a warm feeling to drop a tape measure, knowing that if it is kinked or broken, there are seven more waiting to step in line. They are not metric and that means a lot to some of us. More on the metric problem in class.

I have a number of the free HF voltmeters. They come with a free 9v battery.

I don't like the free HF screwdrivers.

I have never had a failure using the 6' or the 20' HF nylon lifting straps. They are different from the towing straps and I would never use a towing strap for lifting.

I ran out of yardsale grab hooks for my assorted chains and bought a couple at HF. They were dirt cheap and I had to work them over with an angle grinder to get them to fit the chain. I have never had a failure from them but I don't trust them. I have a few favorite chains and those hooks are not on any of my favorites.

I have had pretty good luck with the HF air tools. Some folks will argue over this statement but I am right.

I have had poor luck with the HF air tool fittings. They want to leak or quit working before their time. The air hoses seem to work fine for me.

The HF collated nails work fine in my Senco yardsale nail guns but I like the nails at the lumber yard better. I don't know why.

I purchased a $140 7" variable speed electric angle grinder/polisher from a friend/customer who owns a fancy/expensive tool shop. I used it connected to a soft wire wheel to polish my logs instead of sanding them. I love the soft wire wheel and I like the expensive grinder/polisher, but I never use it because I bought a $40 similar tool at HF that I like much better. I think they both were manufactured in the same region but the HF unit has a better trigger and is quieter and more powerful. Gotta be a fluke.

I do not like the HF wire wheels.

I have a dirt cheap HF sawmill and like it well enough. I reworked a few things to make it much better but it will never be a $6,000 mill. Dirt cheap. The HF blade that came with it would have made a great toothbrush but it was a terrible bandsaw blade.

I have purchased a couple of the Hondaclone horizontal shaft engines from HF. Put one on my wood splitter and swapped to a larger engine on the sawmill. I am 100% sold on the engines.

I don't like the HF screwdrivers.

I have never bought a ladder at Harbor Freight. Over the years I have bought every decent yardsale ladder that I have ever seen that was priced at $1 or less per foot. I have a bunch of ladders that I never use.

Hope this helps.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post

Let the scuffle begin.

Smarter folks than I would say that HF tools are undependable junk. I, on the other hand, have 6 acres of yardsale tools and it seems to me that there are a few of those HF tools that fit right in with my style of log home construction.

There used to be a great little HF demo hammer that drove rebar easier than a sledge hammer. The one I have is discontinued now and there is not total agreement on which model replaces it perfectly. More info in class.

I have several of the small angle grinders that I use frequently. More than once I have had to toss one toward the creek to stop the smoke, but I have never felt cheated and I always have a replacement on hand. I like the cuttoff wheels, grinder discs, and flapper discs for this tool that HF sells.

The Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill is the best! I have the cheap HF imitation and it has served me famously.

I have never had a failure out of a HF impact socket. Dirt cheap.

Most of the HF end wrenches seem to have a good feel to them and you will need them to fix all those yardsale tools.

I don't like HF screwdrivers.

Keep an eye out for those 20% coupons. They are usually paired with a free tool coupon. I have so many 25' tape measures around here that I don't have to carry one on my belt. It gives you a warm feeling to drop a tape measure, knowing that if it is kinked or broken, there are seven more waiting to step in line. They are not metric and that means a lot to some of us. More on the metric problem in class.

I have a number of the free HF voltmeters. They come with a free 9v battery.

I don't like the free HF screwdrivers.

I have never had a failure using the 6' or the 20' HF nylon lifting straps. They are different from the towing straps and I would never use a towing strap for lifting.

I ran out of yardsale grab hooks for my assorted chains and bought a couple at HF. They were dirt cheap and I had to work them over with an angle grinder to get them to fit the chain. I have never had a failure from them but I don't trust them. I have a few favorite chains and those hooks are not on any of my favorites.

I have had pretty good luck with the HF air tools. Some folks will argue over this statement but I am right.

I have had poor luck with the HF air tool fittings. They want to leak or quit working before their time. The air hoses seem to work fine for me.

The HF collated nails work fine in my Senco yardsale nail guns but I like the nails at the lumber yard better. I don't know why.

I purchased a $140 7" variable speed electric angle grinder/polisher from a friend/customer who owns a fancy/expensive tool shop. I used it connected to a soft wire wheel to polish my logs instead of sanding them. I love the soft wire wheel and I like the expensive grinder/polisher, but I never use it because I bought a $40 similar tool at HF that I like much better. I think they both were manufactured in the same region but the HF unit has a better trigger and is quieter and more powerful. Gotta be a fluke.

I do not like the HF wire wheels.

I have a dirt cheap HF sawmill and like it well enough. I reworked a few things to make it much better but it will never be a $6,000 mill. Dirt cheap. The HF blade that came with it would have made a great toothbrush but it was a terrible bandsaw blade.

I have purchased a couple of the Hondaclone horizontal shaft engines from HF. Put one on my wood splitter and swapped to a larger engine on the sawmill. I am 100% sold on the engines.

I don't like the HF screwdrivers.

I have never bought a ladder at Harbor Freight. Over the years I have bought every decent yardsale ladder that I have ever seen that was priced at $1 or less per foot. I have a bunch of ladders that I never use.

Hope this helps.
    Wow great feedback thanks!

Blog Entries
    I might steal that picture and post it as a preface on all my social media posts. I just can't seem to fit in to regular society for some strange reason.... Love hf tools for the most part.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

Regular User
    Since it has been so quiet on here for the last couple of days, I'll jump back in. As I add to my tool collection, I have seen Hole Hawg as recommended, while others use the Super Hawg. Any recommendation one way or the other? And as an aside, I would never use a HF screwdriver either... Be Safe,

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I do not have a wooden ladder. I am afraid of them, even those that have a steel reinforcement in the rungs. So be careful out there.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Power tools - circ saw, sawzall, angle grinder, planner, 15+ gallon compressor, framing nailer, electric chainsaw, cordless drill and impact driver (just beware the batteries may not be good anymore).

That's no joke re: the batteries. Bought a complete Dewalt set used a while back on CL and put them in storage. Came back a year later and not only couldn't find new batteries for sale, but no new chargers either. They changed the design.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by travman View Post

That's no joke re: the batteries. Bought a complete Dewalt set used a while back on CL and put them in storage. Came back a year later and not only couldn't find new batteries for sale, but no new chargers either. They changed the design.
    Find somebody that knows batteries... The cells can be replaced.