Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A possible change of direction

A possible change of direction

Well,
    My plans to move to Canada may well be on hold, I have the possibility of a job in Nevada. (Near a town called Minden)

So are there any here who have built in that area?
    I'll not know for sure for about another 2 years, but if that fails then Canada will be a go.

Blog Entries
    Scotty,

You know the difference between a job for an American in Nevada and a job for an American in Canada?

Living in Nevada you pay U.S. taxes on your Nevada income.

Move to Canada, you pay Canadian taxes plus U.S. taxes on "world wide income."
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

... Well maybe ... If you are eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (see IRS Publication 54) the 1st $97,600 of income earned outside of the US is not taxed
    Last edited by mario kadu; 07-29-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: To Remove my photobucket link

Sorry, just to clarify, I'm a Brit.
    So would be paying tax in whichever country I was living in, but, apparently, in Canada, would pay some tax on my British army army pension, and it would be fixed at the rate I got when leaving UK, yet in the USA I would continue to get the yearly increases, and not pay UK tax.

Blog Entries
    USA... USA... USA !!!

After 4 edits I can't find a way to shout it out. You'll just have to trust me that I have a certain amount of passion in my suggestion.

Wait just a doggone minute! As soon as I post an explanation as to why I can't get it to post USA in all caps, it goes hog wild and works in spades. Go figure.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 09-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

There's a couple that's building in Virginia City, which is near Minden but I can't remember who exactly. You can probably find them with the members map.

Minden is a great little rural town south of Carson City at the base of the Sierras. I'd live there, and I bet its not terrible for permits.

One of these days when I save some more money I'll be starting my build about an hour NW of Minden in Truckee, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyKM View Post
    Well,
    My plans to move to Canada may well be on hold, I have the possibility of a job in Nevada. (Near a town called Minden)

So are there any here who have built in that area?

There's actually a great building supply there that deals in used and overstock. Its called silver state building supply, and that's where I bought my metal roofing for less than wholesale.

Holy thread resurrection batman!

After a long break from here, when it looked like all was lost for getting out of the U.K...

I'm currently waiting on an answer of a 3 yr H1B visa. Got through the Inital lottery (65k applications out of 240k applicants) and it's now on someone's desk, should know in the next month or so.

If it all works out I'll be living in the DFW area from October. Been scaring myself with rental prices.
    I was chatting with a friend and he said, ' so wait, 2k a month for 3 yrs? That's almost 75k, buy land and a trailer and save 75k'
    For some reason you guys popped into my head. I just spent 2 nights reading the cottonwood creek blog.

welcome back, Scotty!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome homeTex!

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.