Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm hoping logs come much cheaper than this?

I have been on this forum for many months and have followed the threads. I am gearing up myself to take on this huge project of BYOC(Build your own cabin).

This is by far the best thread I have seen discussing the class and real benefits of taking. Also discussing the 'just take the class' response that often gets used so often by members of the forum.

I plan to take the class myself and this thread help me decide this. However, I think the LHBA could serve itself better if they dropped the use of that phrase. Regardless of the context - its going to strike many people the wrong way.

There is so much value to offer in the class - there is no other place to obtain the documentation of the Skip Ellsworth butt and pass method. The members only section makes sense - because thats for people who have committed and made the decision to build (or at least take a significant step towards building).

I would think there are many reasonable people who turn away with the wrong impressions of the LHBA. I have seen that bias on other log building forums.

just my 2 cents`

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrover13 View Post
    reasonable people who turn away with the wrong impressions of the LHBA.
    I have seen that bias on other log building forums.
    Can a phrase cause the wrong impression? I don't know but they always have the option to ask questions. Is there another phrase to use?

I have been on several other forums. Still am. Many of those forums just can't believe what we do. A student that goes to a two day class and be able the build a log home --- impossible. In another class they have a whole day on ax sharpening...

We don't pull any punches. Building a log home is just plane hard work. We are a strange bred. We make stuff.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    A student that goes to a two day class and be able the build a log home --- impossible. In another class they have a whole day on ax sharpening...

We don't pull any punches. Building a log home is just plane hard work. We are a strange bred. We make stuff.
    I thought it was odd to be able to learn the build in 2 days, however, after taking the class I came away knowing I could do it. It was actually simpler than I thought but knew it would be hard work. All meat and no fluff like ax sharpening.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I know the "take the class" sounds a bit like a mantra or something but it seems to me that in many if not most cases someone answers the question asked in some way and then follow with "take the class" for the details so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrover13 View Post
    . However, I think the LHBA could serve itself better if they dropped the use of that phrase. Regardless of the context - its going to strike many people the wrong way.
    You are missing two points. First, LHBA itself doesn't say, "just take the class." It's the students who have gone to experience it for themselves, and know the immense value it holds. Second, LHBA has no need to better serve itself. Classes always sell out, and they are larger than they've ever been. Personally, I believe the way it is, tends to weed out the uncommitted and the "takers", leaving a great community of people.

Instead of being put off by the statement, perhaps asking yourself why is it being suggested so much, would be the wiser decision.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I attended the class this past February.
    In order for me to attend I had to fly almost 8000 miles which took about 38 hours counting the layovers, co-ordinate and buy a ticket for my wife to fly to Vegas from Florida, then the usual hotel room and board. Oh, and suck up the lost wages while I was gone.
    Undergoing all that bother got me 72 hours in Vegas.
    Of that 72 hours I chose to spend 24 of them in the LHBA class, 24 hours that I could have spent with my wife who I had not seen in 6 months and who I won't see again for another 4 months.
    When the class was over I had to spend another 38 hours cramped in economy flying back to work.

And it was worth every penny of it!

The class teaches you the basics, a foundation to build on with additional learning through the members side of this site. The members side here is not like the members side of many other websites. There are no keyboard commandos, no snarky jerks telling you you're doing it wrong and that you can't do it. When you come here with questions people, knowledgeable people, take time to help you work through your problem. You get real options and real answers, Members actually do travel to help each other with their builds, that's not BS smoke and mirror claims trying to sell you on the class.
    Having to attend the class first to become a member weeds out people who aren't serious, so that the members side is full of those who have built or are actually going to build instead of people who will only talk about building but never take things further than idle chatter. Nothing wrong with having pipe dreams, but those of us on the members side are focused on getting our homes built and helping other members build theirs. The signal to noise ratio would be horrible if the need to physically attend class didn't weed out people who'll never get up the gumption to really start building.

The take the class mantra isn't about trying to get you to plunk down the course fee. It's asking you to demonstrate that you are serious about doing this, that you're willing to commit the time and money to attend...because if you can't be bothered to sacrifice two days of your time and the money to attend the course why in the world would anyone think that you're going to be up to making the sacrifices of time and money to build your own home with your own two hands? Anyone can do it, but it's not going to be easy. You will be tired. You will be sore You're going to break a sweat. You may even break a nail. If you can't get up the determination to attend the class you would likely give up after starting to build. We want to focus on people who won't give up.

On the 'just take the class' mantra. I've been reading this forum for five years, got an account in 2011. Class attendance for me was just this past Feb. On the public side, you can learn the concepts. Butt and pass. Pier foundations (preferred by DIY, but you can do anything if done properly). Pinned logs. Chinking. A little about roofing. At the class, you get the DETAILS. Spacing on pins, piers and rafters. The mix ratio of the LHBA chinking. How to lift logs. How much insulation in the roof. Basically, the details on foundation, walls, roof and floors. And then, yes, access to the member's forum and all the help that provides.
    On the log issue. There are ways to get 'free' logs, if you're very fortunate. But the reality is, even free logs must be transported to your build site, and transporting logs isn't cheap. Even on that, there are a few tips given in class to reduce that cost.

I'll add that you will most likely NOT be able to go straight to the mountain after class and have the knowledge necessary to build a cabin. But you WILL have the resources necessary, and a large group of friends ready to cheer on each and every milestone of your build, as well as ready to answer all of the parts that you still can't quite figure out yourself. They recommended in class that you should wait about 2 years from the time you take the class to start your build. That time is best spent acquiring tools, finalizing, then re-finalizing build plans, and learning. The learning is the fun part, since you can watch others as they build and share lessons learned as they progress. (More pics please!)

From somebody that is constantly on this site, but doesn't participate very often, those that do participate are a blessing, and I am extremely grateful for them. Take the class...LOL
    Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    You may even break a nail. .
    No one told me that! I may have to reconsider building my home. But honestly, I read at least 75% of the non member posts before going to class and I thought I knew quite a bit. I wanted to go JUST to get access to the member side! And I didn't know as much as I thought I knew and I learned a lot IN class AND on the members side. I still learn every day. I spent most nights reading posts on stuff related to the part of the build I am in currently.(which is planning and foundation). I got tired of hearing "take the class" but only because I could not get to the next one and had to wait longer. We spent about a half months wages between class and food and flying, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Mary in Pennsylvania

One day this sign will hang in my log home

"SHE BELEIVED SHE COULD, SO SHE DID. "

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting to me that a number of the members promoting "take the class" right now are folks that just a short time ago were on the other side, a little on the fence, wondering about all this "take the class" stuff. The join date of each person is when they first joined the public forum I think.
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 03-11-2016 at 08:43 AM.