Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconino County, AZ.. Any experience here?

Coconino County, AZ.. Any experience here?

Good morning all.
    I have a question about building this type of construction in Coconino County, in Northern Arizona. Has anyone had experience dealing with the county officials here? Specifically in the Williams area. Building code seems to be a bit overwhelming for typical construction methods, but not a lot of information in way of cabin construction. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

Hope it's better than whatever County BoFuller lives in. Downright ridiculous what he went through.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I'm sure Yavapai is the worst with Prescott and Sedona leading the bureaucracy. Coconino has Flagstaff as its seat, so I believe it is more reasonable than Yavapai. I have not personally heard anything good or bad about it. I can check with some of my locals.

I do know that Williams has a severe water problem and that construction is often put on hold.

Thanks for the info. I have heard that Yavapai is pretty bad. Fortunately, I'm a little closer to Spring Valley than Williams. I have a 21 acre lot that I've been threatening to build on. Thought I'd get what info I could before diving in with the County. I haven't taken the class yet, but hopefully soon. I work with Codeman, and we've discussed it at some length. I guess I should go offer him some labor while I'm at it!

Yes, by all means, go help him and get some experience. I spent about a week over there about 3 years ago.

Hi Mark and BoFuller,

Any luck with starting/finishing your log homes? I live in Flagstaff and am interested in building a log home outside city limits within the next 4-5 years. Don't have land yet and have not attended class, but am planning to attend this February. Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is Codeman? I'd like to offer my free labor in exchange for learning about the process of log home building. I'm excited to hear that there are members in Arizona...wasn't sure if there was any.

Thank you,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mk289 View Post
    Hi Mark and BoFuller,

Any luck with starting/finishing your log homes? I live in Flagstaff and am interested in building a log home outside city limits within the next 4-5 years. Don't have land yet and have not attended class, but am planning to attend this February. Also, if you don't mind me asking, who is Codeman? I'd like to offer my free labor in exchange for learning about the process of log home building. I'm excited to hear that there are members in Arizona...wasn't sure if there was any.

Thank you,
    Mick
    I finished mine in June of 2015. We are living there most of the time but commute to Phoenix once a week to work a couple days. I'm about 10 miles West and 10 miles South of Seligman. You can come check it out if you want.

Codeman is building outside of Winslow. He has his walls up but I don't think the roof is on yet. He got transferred somewhere by the railroad so he is not as active as he would like to be, but he'll git 'er done someday. No matter how long it takes him, he'll still beat my little brother (LHN)

There's a couple who own a lot across I-40 from me but I haven't heard from them in awhile. There's also a couple in Prescott who have talked about building and one in Mesa, but nothing started that I know of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi BoFuller,

Appreciate your reply-sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Have had a busy fall with my wife and I's wedding-just returned from our honeymoon.

We have budgeted for attending the Feb LHBA class. However, she's meticulous and wants to find out everything there is about the LHBA. She's not skeptical, but is tracking down every forum, website, article, etc. that the LHBA or Mr. Ellsworth is mentioned in. As you can imagine, not all of these sources have painted the LHBA and/or its method in a positive light. To cement her feelings for taking the class, I was hoping we could take you up on the offer of viewing your home in Seligman. Seeing a home produced by a member (and perhaps chatting for a moment with you if possible) will surely help. I'll understand if you would prefer not to divulge this information to a stranger. However, if you don't mind posting here or emailing me at mk289@nau.edu, I would be grateful. Hope you had a Happy New Year!

Sincerely,
    Mick

Blog Entries
    Where'd you two go for honeymoon, Mick. I proposed to my Wife the night before class, back in 89. Never regretted either one.

That's her and our front door a few years ago. The door is the wide one.

Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.