Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If You are on the Fence...

That would be cool. Mortise an arcing iron track flush with the floor surface.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    This post was not about that door. It was about that Woman and how well we worked together that day.

If you must know, that door was inspired by Jim and Pam Bingham's front door up in Snohomish, Washington. Mine weighs 380 lbs and I suspect that theirs weighs more as it is made of good, sound Doug Fir and mine is made of punky Ponderosa Pine.

The door that this post prompted is much thinner and lighter and has a window in it.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    That would be cool. Mortise an arcing iron track flush with the floor surface.
    Yes, but it also sounds like a bloody stubbed toe waiting to happen.

My current front door is 4x6 t&g "bridge decking" that i scored for $2 a board. its 4' wide and 7' tall and heavy.... The front door I will be making for my next home will be made from 6x12 kit logs. I have a contact where I can get the boards for basically free. It will be 4-5' wide and 8' tall. Why? because I can. Also plan on using a lot of old ground driven farm implement gears arranged on the back of it so that when I crank a hand it will turn 10-12 gears that will in turn drive out metal bars into the door frame. Will also have it set up so that I can unlock from the outside. I think I'm more excited about building the front door for my next house then most anything.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

HA HA HA! Kit home wall logs for a door! That sounds like a real slap in the face. I'm sure it will be a bragging point.

Your locking mechanics sound similar to what I have in mind. I just haven't ironed out exactly how I want to do it yet.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Yes, I just had one of the most enjoyable days of my life. The Boss and I made a hinge (actually two). I coulda done it without her but it would have taken ten days. Something about working together on a project makes it all work right and worth doing... Sometimes.

I suppose none of this matters to the rest of you. I thought I'd say a word or two about how enjoyable it can be to work with someone you love. It won't always be that way... You'll squabble and fight sometimes. Schedules won't coincide. She'll be a pain and you'll be a horses butt. Divorce will be an option. But once in awhile, the stars will align and it will work for some of you.

I just LOVE this post. You are right.. it is so nice when two people can work together on a project. It seems to go so much better. Thanks LHN!! although now I'm wondering if we should get a hot tub BEFORE we start the build....
    Mary in Pennsylvania

One day this sign will hang in my log home

"SHE BELEIVED SHE COULD, SO SHE DID. "

LHBA Member
    Starting to think we should have a front door thread as I'm also planning on doing something 'unique' and one of a kind. Hopefully taxes won't kill us and I can finish purchasing the rest of the items for that CNC plasma table this year.

And LHN, My wife and I are hoping to enjoy our time 'building' together as much as you and yours have.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    This post was not about that door. It was about that Woman and how well we worked together that day.
    As part of the thread hijackers I'd volunteer the sentiment of this thread wasn't lost on me. A lot of us probably have several layers of envy at this point (living this style right now AND not just an accepting but participating spouse in particular)

Personally, as a single guy still, I think such a match is wildly rare and a figment of imagination for many.. Must be where that dungeon key idea came from!

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glewash View Post
    As part of the thread hijackers I'd volunteer the sentiment of this thread wasn't lost on me. A lot of us probably have several layers of envy at this point (living this style right now AND not just an accepting but participating spouse in particular)

Personally, as a single guy still, I think such a match is wildly rare and a figment of imagination for many.. Must be where that dungeon key idea came from!
    I think you hit the nail on the head with every statement there. Like Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail, choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post

If you must know, that door was inspired by Jim and Pam Bingham's front door up in Snohomish, Washington. Mine weighs 380 lbs and I suspect that theirs weighs more as it is made of good, sound Doug Fir and mine is made of punky Ponderosa Pine.

The door that this post prompted is much thinner and lighter and has a window in it.
    Leave it to 'Nut to get upset when HIS thread gets hijacked.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005