Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: city wants copy of general contractor license

Blog Entries

city wants copy of general contractor license

I talked to the City Clerk about building permits- she says no problem- just submit a platt map with the home located on it where you want it, the home plans, and my license and proof of insurance if I want to build my own home. I saw a post a while back talking about submitting a copy of your LHBA membership card- can I fool the city with this? (Tiny little town <2800 residents, 30 minutes from everywhere, in the sticks of Alabama). I can get the liability ins. no problem, but how do you get past the "General Contractor" license?

You should be able to get an owner builder permit which does not require a contractors liscence. At least where I built.

I would bet the city clerk does not know what she is talking about. They just spout what they usually get when a contractor builds a house. You are an owner builder and do not need a license. Try again and talk to someone else if at all possible. I am not aware of any place that does not allow owner builder permits. Maybe in New York City, or LA or Boulder?
    Work Safe!

Blog Entries
    Is there some literature I can read to find out more about this? Thanks for the reply!
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    Is there some literature I can read to find out more about this? Thanks for the reply!
    I actually just found this: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_type_o...your_own_house , so maybe I found my own answer. But you guys always inspire me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    You should be able to get an owner builder permit which does not require a contractors liscence. At least where I built.
    I like the sound of this. I looked at your blog, too- are you all done with your home?

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    I like the sound of this. I looked at your blog, too- are you all done with your home?
    I am mostly done��. We still have lots to do but we moved in two years ago and have not updated our blog since. We love the home and will keep chipping away at finishing it as finances allow. Building without debt means you build slower but you build without stress. Or at least without the stress of a bank breathing down your neck for thirty years.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. That's encouraging.

LHBA Member
    In my county, an owner builder permit is actually a little cheaper because they waive one of the fees or permit requirements (can't remember which)... the catch was that you have to live in it for at least 2 years after it's built. I guess that's to keep people from going around throwing up houses without a contractors license.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    In my county, an owner builder permit is actually a little cheaper because they waive one of the fees or permit requirements (can't remember which)... the catch was that you have to live in it for at least 2 years after it's built. I guess that's to keep people from going around throwing up houses without a contractors license.
    Same here. I think it's so you are not trying to scam the government out of their money. Ya know they don't have enough of our blood sweat an tears.