Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: log settling

log settling

Ive read that with the butt and pass system the logs dont settle... are these fresh cut, green logs? Any particular type trees?

Blog Entries
    I have done it with green Doug Fir. No settling. Search the archives for one of the many old threads on the matter.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjoe View Post
    Ive read that with the butt and pass system the logs don't settle... are these fresh cut, green logs? Any particular type trees?
    A quick answer... We use Green Whole logs. Many trees will work. If they make lumber out of that tree, it will most likely work. Doug Fir, Hem-Fir, pines, popular, etc. Even oak was used in a resent log home.

Our system is tightly pinned log home... Butt and pass is a style of corner. I have over 900 pieces of 23 inch re-bar holding everything together. the green logs shrink in all directions. These logs grab onto the re-bars and don't move. Later I must go back and shoot some chinking material into where the gaps in the chinking. Because the way I used insinuation between the logs very little outside air comes in these gaps in the chinking.

Again, it's not the corner system, its the 900 steel pins holding everything together in my home. See my home below.

Finally, green logs shrink. They shrink about 10%. So if you build a log wall where the logs support each other and the log wall is 100 inches high, after the logs dry the wall will be approximately 90 inches. Some kit makers air dry their logs several years. These will still shrink, not as much but the log wall will shrink...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    A quick answer... We use Green Whole logs. Many trees will work. If they make lumber out of that tree, it will most likely work. Doug Fir, Hem-Fir, pines, popular, etc. Even oak was used in a resent log home.

Our system is tightly pinned log home... Butt and pass is a style of corner. I have over 900 pieces of 23 inch re-bar holding everything together. the green logs shrink in all directions. These logs grab onto the re-bars and don't move. Later I must go back and shoot some chinking material into where the gaps in the chinking. Because the way I used insinuation between the logs very little outside air comes in these gaps in the chinking.

Again, it's not the corner system, its the 900 steel pins holding everything together in my home. See my home below.

Finally, green logs shrink. They shrink about 10%. So if you build a log wall where the logs support each other and the log wall is 100 inches high, after the logs dry the wall will be approximately 90 inches. Some kit makers air dry their logs several years. These will still shrink, not as much but the log wall will shrink...
    About the shrinking - 10% so a pinned Butt and Pass structured wall will still drop from 100 to 90?

Lightbulb Green or dry?

Butt and Pass, if done correctly does not settle. Most would not recommend using fresh cut logs...unless you had to. Very heavy and will shrink...but not settle. Logs shrink to the center of itself..but does not shrink length-wise. However a fitted or notched log home will settle more with green logs=PITA

Pinned butt and pass does not settle but after it shrinks you will need to most likely..using green logs... re-chink it..or touch it up. The class will teach you everything you need to know. Dry logs or settled logs are more desirable...you learn how to prepare..everything...so ..you need to take the class.
    I assume they are still showing a movie clip of a family cutting trees and hauling them out via horses..if i remember right.Last part of the class

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrover13 View Post
    About the shrinking - 10% so a pinned Butt and Pass structured wall will still drop from 100 to 90?
    NO!

So if you build a log wall where the logs support each other... My logs (tightly pinned) are supported by the 900 steel (re-bar). That's the difference...

Wood vs. Steel which do you think will shrink? Surely this is clear...
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Blog Entries
    So the answer is?

If you, someone without attending our class, decided to build a log home by stacking green logs, yes it would shrink/shrivel/fall/decrease by let's say 10%. Meaning, amongst other things, your doors won't work. Your windows won't work and will likely all break. Probable plumbing problems at some point. You will have something only you will love. But you could stay warm and dry for a while.

Or, you take our 2 (long) days of class. The class doesn't tell you to just stack logs. After the class, you get all the nut and bolt details you need to successfully build your personal real log home "our way." Which, looking at the history of this family, we have "unskilled" and "under educated builders" building homes that will stand for generations, long after the professionally built homes (not including Wiley) have turned to decayed wood matter. Most of the people on the other side, are in the process or have already completed their own, personally built homes. Things are not written in stone. New and improved minor details in our building process are discussed as they are developed. But what you learned in class, pretty much all of that has remained basically the same since our founder started this whole vision numerous decades ago.

I realize this all seems a little secretive. It's not. The basics are taught over two long days. Not really something that is best not taught on a Q&A forum of volunteers. The "instructors" of the class? They are two of the craziest people you will ever meet. The day you walk in the door, they will tell you that you can build your own real log home. Now that IS crazy. However, by the end of the weekend class, you will see "everything" differently.

Then, after the class, you get to meet the real Psych Ward. The member side is full of crazy people at some point in the process of either building or living in what they already built. There will likely never be any new questions about building our way that hasn't been hashed and rehashed many times already. The best part is there are plenty of people that have done the work before that can and will hold your hand through your own build.

The only thing that won't shrink is the size of our family.

When it comes to building a real log home with your own hands, every single one of us have been told by friends and family that we are crazy to think we can build log homes ourselves. Making it worse for non-believers, many of us are doing it debt free, without a mortgage. Crazy only in today's way of thinking.
    Last edited by edkemper; 01-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Blog Entries
    I'm going to trust you guys on this one. No other "log home builder" class is making this promise, which is why I'll be in Vegas on Feb 13-14: so I can join the rest of the nutcases.

Blog Entries
    Just bring the mudflaps. I think you'll fit right in.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    \.

Then, after the class, you get to meet the real Psych Ward. The member side is full of crazy people
    I live in the psych ward.