Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member in Wisconsin - initial questions on building log cabin myself

New member in Wisconsin - initial questions on building log cabin myself

Hello LBHA community,

I am very excited to start this journey to building my own log cabin. I came across this site after searching for possible cabin kits online,etc (like so many others!).

In fact, I have been looking at vacant land lake lots in northern Wisconsin (aka God's country) - and the info I have found on these sites have brought me the confidence to move forward and pull the trigger. We have an accepted offer on a 5 acre lake lot and pushing to close in March 2016.

We are financing the lot - with plan to build within 5 years and roll it all into a construction loan to build. Of course that is where the LBHA community comes in. Now, instead of construction loan - I am hoping to build my own log cabin over next 5 years and not have that major debt lingering. The plan would be to buy as we go.

I am going to attend a Las Vegas class. Potentially as soon as this May.

Here are my initial questions to the community. I hope to contribute to the conversations someday. Thanks in advance!

Everyone's first question: Logs
    My new 5 acre lot will not provide the logs, there just isn't enough actual timber for me to harvest the logs. The best I have found from my online research of available logs in the area would be this CL post - https://up.craigslist.org/for/5369108862.html . This looks like the kind of timber I will need. Any thoughts? Good price? Anyone in this community build in Wisconsin? If I buy locally and not from a lumber mill, will I need to get them kiln dried?

One-man show: I work full time, and live 1hr20min away from the build site. I am avid DIYer and have built stick-build additions on to my own home from ground up. I can figure most stuff out with a little guidance. I can handle most laborious tasks and am not afraid of the hard work. I do have a growing family as well (1 year old son and beautiful wife). I will have to do almost all the shell building on my own, on the WEEKENDS. How realistic is this? Can I erect the shell with ONLY MYSELF without heavy equipment? I know when it comes to adding the roof - I will have to enlist extra hands. Would it be easier to erect my own if I used smaller width logs (like 8-10 inch diameter logs)?

Last question: Planning the process. I will have to clear the land and put in access driveway first. But then what. Can I put in foundation, shell, and roof - BEFORE I install well and septic? This would be ideal - as Well and septic take cash (its going to be a mound system septic, probably 15k). I am hoping I could build the structure and install septic and well after.

(at this point its probably closer to my 5 year mark and will need to refinance the land by then. I am thinking I could build almost everything myself, but at the end finance the remaining balance on the land, well, septic, and any other remaining items - ALL put on a construction loan) Am I smoking something? I don't want to do a construction loan for everything from the start, as my understanding is I would have to hire contractors to do the work. That leaves no fun for me and doesn't make it financially doable (leave me with a 100k mortgage or more)

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond.
    -Darren G.

Blog Entries
    Darren, you'll be the poster child for LHBA. The answer is most likely yes to all of the above but you should sell the property and move away from Wisconsin for this build.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    On second thought maybe you can make it work in Wisconsin and I'll leave the Wife and move there and start over. Wisconsin is probably perfect. You'll do better on logs and there is no hurry. I don't know for sure but I think most folks build before the septic goes in. I'd rather not have that thing in my way if I had a choice. You can build with tools that will fit in the trunk of your Mercedes. A 4 day work week would be right up your alley if you can swing it. I wish I was your age and starting this project.

PS... I think my Brother Bo has acquired access to my LHBA account and found a way to edit my posts. He will most likely make me look like an idiot.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 01-24-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrover13 View Post
    https://up.craigslist.org/for/5369108862.html . This looks like the kind of timber I will need. Any thoughts? Good price? Anyone in this community build in Wisconsin? If I buy locally and not from a lumber mill, will I need to get them kiln dried?

Would it be easier to erect my own if I used smaller width logs (like 8-10 inch diameter logs)?

Last question: Planning the process. I will have to clear the land and put in access driveway first. But then what. Can I put in foundation, shell, and roof - BEFORE I install well and septic?

ALL put on a construction loan
    Darren
    First of all DO NOT GET a CONSTRUCTION LOAN, ever!

Logs...The guy that is selling these is a weenie... It looks like he is measuring the bottom of the tree. If the person measures standing trees generally the measure the breast height and they mention that! Given the taper an 18 inch log may be too small. You should not pay not more than $200 bucks for any log, IMHO. The class will help in getting logs process... We use Green logs and no one kiln dries a log because it would take way too much time... Even air drying logs will take 3 to 6 years...

Using the LHBA method larger logs are easier, have more R values and thermal mass.

Planning process... I had almost everything done before I put in the septic. We used a tent and a bucket for our septic... Sounds gross but its really not that bad... I planned to use about $10,000 a year to build... Some years a lot less.

DO NOT GET a CONSTRUCTION LOAN, ever!

CONSTRUCTION LOANS require a schedule which is at odds with the one man building process.
    Last edited by rocklock; 01-24-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Utilities can come either before or after the house. I chose before, and moved onto the property, in a trailer. That brought my cost-of-living expenses WAY down. A few other LHBA members who've visited my place have said they wished they'd done the same.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Thanks for the quick replies. So sounds like I don't need to worry about septic - that can come after the build.

RockLock - Thanks for the input. There are a few lumber/log supply places I have found that charge a premium. If they are larger logs - my guess is they are bringing them in from outside Wisconsin. I just don't think I will find the very large logs. Wisconsin was logged heavily 100+ years ago - and although I am sure I could find large timber, I would probably have to pay high for it.

As far as 'help finding logs' - would I be looking out of state and shipping them in?

Thanks again!

LHBA Member
    Shipping logs is often a big expense. Look around locally first.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrover13 View Post
    Hello LBHA community,

https://up.craigslist.org/for/5369108862.html .
    -Darren G.
    Seems really good price, specially for large logs. Keep in mind that the largest the better it is, for thermal mass, less layer, join to do etc...
    Plan is done, land ok, log hunting mode now!
    Should start full basement foundation beginning of May 2016

One thing about the septic. Be sure to at least have the perc test done. A built house is worthless if you can't tie to septic/sewer.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Seems really good price, specially for large logs. Keep in mind that the largest the better it is, for thermal mass, less layer, join to do etc...
    How small can we go. This states they may taper to 10 inches at the top.